New turbo diesel locost

  • Philippe
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hello Group,
      I have now completed my build which departs from the conventional book locost in several ways: all welded steel construction (except the nose cone), side fairing, exhaust in the transmission tunnel, turbo diesel with separate turbo lubricating system.

      Enjoy

      http://picasaweb.google.ca/googbrown/Locost702#5341936160950843714

      Philippe
    • Raymond McGill
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2009
        Nice. I was just looking at the Kinetic Vehicles site. That's you, right?

        Just because everything's changing

        Doesn't mean it's never been this way before

        Regina Spektor - The Call (lyrics)

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2009
          Nope, not Phillipe. You're thinking Jack McCornack, who owns the
          Kinetic Vehicles site.

          Congrats Phillipe! I remember when you first started your project,
          there was a lot of doubt that you'd get it completed, especially with
          some of the non-standard methods you were using/planning on using.

          --JOsh

          On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Raymond McGill <raymcgill@...> wrote:
          > Nice. I was just looking at the Kinetic Vehicles site. That's you, right?

          > Just because everything's changing
          >
          > Doesn't mean it's never been this way before
          >
          >        Regina Spektor - The Call (lyrics)

        • Raymond McGill
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2009
            Fantastic, Phillipe! I look forward to seeing more!

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2009
              At 06:32 PM 01/06/2009, you wrote:
              >Hello Group,
              >I have now completed my build which departs from the conventional
              >book locost in several ways: all welded steel construction (except
              >the nose cone), side fairing, exhaust in the transmission tunnel,
              >turbo diesel with separate turbo lubricating system.
              >
              >Enjoy
              >

              >http://picasaweb.google.ca/googbrown/Locost702#5341936160950843714
              >
              >Philippe

              You have me curious what engine and tranny did you use?

              Dave

            • Philippe
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2009
                Wrong!
                Kinetic Jack 's diesel is based on a Kubota. Mine is based on a 1.9 TD VW Jeta. Not the same size of engine. Jack however gave me the idea to go diesel.

                Philippe.--- In Locost_Theory@yahoogroups.com, Raymond McGill <raymcgill@...> wrote:

                > Nice. I was just looking at the Kinetic Vehicles site. That's you, right?

                > Just because everything's changing
                >
                > Doesn't mean it's never been this way before
                >
                > Regina Spektor - The Call (lyrics)

              • Philippe
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2009
                  Thanks for you interest. Yes some of the points I argued here turned out to be OK. The all steel (no rivets) approach that got me in so much trouble for instance worked out. Albeit a lot of body work was necessary.

                  Philippe.

                  --- In Locost_Theory@yahoogroups.com, Josh <crturboguy@...> wrote:

                  > Nope, not Phillipe. You're thinking Jack McCornack, who owns the
                  > Kinetic Vehicles site.
                  >
                  > Congrats Phillipe! I remember when you first started your project,
                  > there was a lot of doubt that you'd get it completed, especially with
                  > some of the non-standard methods you were using/planning on using.
                  >
                  > --JOsh
                  >
                  > On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Raymond McGill <raymcgill@...> wrote:
                  > > Nice. I was just looking at the Kinetic Vehicles site. That's you, right?

                  > > Just because everything's changing
                  > >
                  > > Doesn't mean it's never been this way before
                  > >
                  > >        Regina Spektor - The Call (lyrics)

                • Philippe
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2009
                    Hi Dave,
                    The engine is a rebuilt VW 1.9 TD. Code AAZ. A 1993 turbo diesel without computer. I got the fuel injection pump modified to push more fuel and a larger turbo. I believe that this engine produced 145 lbs-ft @2000 rpm.

                    Transmission came from my Suzuki Samurai. 5 speed. mated through ACME adaptor.
                  • Anthony
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2009
                      I remember when this car was topic of conversation. Nice to see it is finished. I, however am still working on mine after a 2 year hiatus. More pics would be great. I am always interested to see how other people built their car.

                      anthony

                      --- In Locost_Theory@yahoogroups.com, "Philippe" <oneiraca2004@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Group,
                      > I have now completed my build which departs from the conventional book locost in several ways: all welded steel construction (except the nose cone), side fairing, exhaust in the transmission tunnel, turbo diesel with separate turbo lubricating system.
                      >
                      > Enjoy
                      >

                      > http://picasaweb.google.ca/googbrown/Locost702#5341936160950843714
                      >
                      > Philippe

                    • Philippe
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 4, 2009
                        Thanks for your good words. In our hobby a long hiatus is not uncommon. Good luck in your build. I have posted more pictures on the link indicated previously.

                      • eskoa@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 4, 2009
                          I know all about hiatus, I built my Lotus 7 clone over a period of 20 years.

                          I don't hold the record, I have a friend who bought a Caterham kit new in 1979

                          he is still working on it, occasionally.

                          Esko

                          Thanks for your good words. In our hobby a long hiatus is not uncommon. Good luck in your build. I have posted more pictures on the link indicated previously.

                          --- In Locost_Theory@yahoogroups.com , "Anthony" <antmauriz@...> wrote:

                          > I remember when this car was topic of conversation. Nice to see it is finished. I, however am still working on mine after a 2 year hiatus. More pics would be great. I am always interested to see how other people built their car.
                          >
                          > anthony
                          >

                          > --- In Locost_Theory@yahoogroups.com , "Philippe" <oneiraca2004@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hello Group,
                          > > I have now completed my build which departs from the conventional book locost in several ways: all welded steel construction (except the nose cone), side fairing, exhaust in the transmission tunnel, turbo diesel with separate turbo lubricating system.
                          > >
                          > > Enjoy
                          > >

                          > > http://picasaweb.google.ca/googbrown/Locost702#5341936160950843714
                          > >
                          > > Philippe

                        • Philippe
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 4, 2009
                            Yes, what matters is not the car, it's the process!
                            Philippe
                            --- In Locost_Theory@yahoogroups.com, eskoa@... wrote:

                            > I know all about hiatus, I built my Lotus 7 clone over a period of 20 years.
                            >
                            > I don't hold the record, I have a friend who bought a Caterham kit new in 1979
                            >
                            > he is still working on it, occasionally.
                            >
                            > Esko

                          • Amit
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 4, 2009
                              hi

                              could u post some pics of how you went about with the
                              Transmission from my Suzuki Samurai. 5 speed. mated through ACME adaptor.

                              will prob help me with my project

                              cheers

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 8, 2009
                                I don't recall taking pictures of the samy transmission being mated to the VW engine. What specifically to you want to see? I am sure that the yahoo diesel samurai forum will have what you want. Or you can visit the ACME web site.
                                Good luck.