Re: Std FWD diff to RWD

  • Randy Howard
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 5, 2000
      Doesn't seem that big a deal to me. Assuming the builder has the
      savvy to design a mid-engined Locost in the first place, setting up a
      usable axle shouldn't be that difficult. That is one of the reasons
      I suggested Rabbit/GTI. They use tubular axles which are simple to
      shorten/extend to any desired wheel track. The uprights are
      MacPhearson strut but could be modified to use with A arm suspension
      as others have done for front of Locost. Disc brakes are lightweight
      and already part of the package. The stock shift linkage is an
      enginering miracle and can provide vital bits for a custom built
      linkage. Seems very do-able to me and not necessarily expensive,
      just a lot of developmental work. I would also consider MR-2 as the
      best choice for direct drop-in. Leaves many choices for increased
      power from stock components, supercharger, 20 valve motor etc. Don't
      forget motorcycle power either. That could be extraordinarily quick.

      Randy Howard

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
      --- In Locost_Theory@egroups.com, "Toni Cortez" <tonico@e...> wrote:
      > Well, yes sure. I own a small lathe no problem. How many people
      > own one? The stub axle runs on bearings contained within the
      carrier. <<etc. SNIP>>
    • James Hughes
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2000
        The Radical race car uses a mid engined bike alyout, with a chain drive to
        the diff - not sure where the diff is from though. Its very fast and has
        some very nice suspension features. Looking at a friends Radical, I reckon
        it would be possible to make something fairly similar, but cheaper, for the
        road (a Radical costs about 25UKP I think) I am sure it would be easier than
        trying to adapt a car engine to run mid layout.

        James

        Doesn't seem that big a deal to me. Assuming the builder has the
        savvy to design a mid-engined Locost in the first place, setting up a
        usable axle shouldn't be that difficult. That is one of the reasons
        I suggested Rabbit/GTI. They use tubular axles which are simple to
        shorten/extend to any desired wheel track. The uprights are
        MacPhearson strut but could be modified to use with A arm suspension
        as others have done for front of Locost. Disc brakes are lightweight
        and already part of the package. The stock shift linkage is an
        enginering miracle and can provide vital bits for a custom built
        linkage. Seems very do-able to me and not necessarily expensive,
        just a lot of developmental work. I would also consider MR-2 as the
        best choice for direct drop-in. Leaves many choices for increased
        power from stock components, supercharger, 20 valve motor etc. Don't
        forget motorcycle power either. That could be extraordinarily quick.

        Randy Howard

        <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
        --- In Locost_Theory@egroups.com, "Toni Cortez" <tonico@e...> wrote:
        > Well, yes sure. I own a small lathe no problem. How many people
        > own one? The stub axle runs on bearings contained within the
        carrier. <<etc. SNIP>>

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: Locost_Theory@onelist.com
        Subscribe: Locost_Theory-subscribe@onelist.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.onelist.com/community/Locost_Theory
      • Toni Cortez
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2000
          There is also the Rocket http://www.racecar.co.uk/rocket/details.html
          There was another stateside that I saw in one of the kit car magazines that
          was done along the lines of a CanAm car.
          They all share one thing in common: Custom or very expensive diff/reverser.
          Otherwise it would be by far the most practical design to come up with as
          as a generic design.
          The only reason I have not gone further using a bike engine is because in
          California
          one has to use a sedan engine in a homebuilt car. (no bike engines or
          truck/pickup engines).
          There are changes in the rules for homebuilts in progress as we speak, If
          the rules change
          I will probably go back to looking at bike engines even if it means to
          design and build a diff/reverser.
          Tony Cortez

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 7, 2000
            Wow! The Rocket looks great (although very retro in body design. I
            am too far along to consider motorcycle power but the idea really
            interests me, especially as a small displacement racer. What I
            thought of for reverse gearing is an axle mounted starter motor which
            would engage a small ring gear mounted to the diff. Simply select
            neutral or clutch the engine and push a button to back up. I have
            seen car differentials modified to fit a sprocket in place of the
            ring gear, spiders and carrier are run open. Could possibly be done
            nicely if an alloy carrier were used as it could be welded as
            necessary. Seems a lot of the strength required for supporting ring
            gear and maintaining pinion alignment would no longer be required.
            Harley trikes use a chain drive differential, not sure how strong
            they are. Hope those Cal. regulations relax a little to allow some
            more creative projects.

            Randy Howard

            <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
            --- In Locost_Theory@egroups.com, "Toni Cortez" <tonico@e...> wrote:
            > There is also the Rocket
            http://www.racecar.co.uk/rocket/details.html
            > There was another stateside that I saw in one of the kit car
            magazines that
            > was done along the lines of a CanAm car.
            > They all share one thing in common: Custom or very expensive
            diff/reverser. <<SNIP>>
          • malcolm goldsworthy
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 7, 2000
              From: "Randy Howard"
              > Wow! The Rocket looks great (although very retro in body design. I
              > am too far along to consider motorcycle power but the idea really
              > interests me, especially as a small displacement racer. >
              > Randy Howard

              Hi Randy,
              Don`t tell the wife it only has 1 seat ;-)
              Mal.G.
              AUS.
            • Germán Vega
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 8, 2000
                At 12:18 PM 7/08/00 +0100, you wrote:
                >The Radical race car uses a mid engined bike alyout, with a chain drive to
                >the diff - not sure where the diff is from though. Its very fast and has
                >some very nice suspension features. Looking at a friends Radical, I reckon
                >it would be possible to make something fairly similar, but cheaper, for the
                >road (a Radical costs about 25UKP I think) I am sure it would be easier than
                >trying to adapt a car engine to run mid layout.
                >
                >James

                Hello James,

                Some time ago Rick Hargraves, if I remeber it well, sent a photograph of a
                racer with a central bike engine + an open Mini diff. Very interesting indeed.

                I don't have the picture anymore since my system crashed and lost all the
                files.

                - Germán.
              • James Hughes
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 8, 2000
                  Isn't the Rocket a two seater (one behind the other).

                  I have only seen one on the road - came up behind me on the M11 near
                  Cambridge - looks really weird, spent the whole time staring into the rear
                  view mirrow wondering what it was.

                  James