Letter to Business Community From City Administrator
- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: Letter to Business Community From City Administrator Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:06:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Dan Lindheim <shari@...> Reply-To: shari@... To: dmacleay@earthlink. net
Letter from City Administrator Dan Lindheim. Please distribute widely through your information channels.
July 2, 2010
Dear Oakland Business Community and Friends,
As a member of our valued Oakland business community, we are writing to update you about the City of Oakland's preparations for potential activities following the announcement of the jury verdict in the Mehserle trial.
The City of Oakland is committed to facilitating peaceful demonstration while ensuring personal safety and protecting property. We are doing everything in our means to minimize the potential for vandalism and violence including the establishment of community healing centers and working with our community partners to facilitate peaceful forms of expression.
Contrary to reports disseminated by non-City sources, the City of Oakland is NOT urging businesses to close on the day of the verdict. We advise you to use common sense, convey a sense of calm to your employees and customers and be prepared for the possibility that traffic and public transit could be impacted in the late afternoon or early evening the day of the verdict.
The City has developed a variety of mechanisms to keep the business community informed of developments as they occur. We encourage you to note the key tips below and review the the updated Merchant Information Bulletin:
- We will post regular information updates on our web site: www.oaklandnet. com.
- To receive emergency alerts by email or wireless device, subscribe to our alert system by entering your email address. If you would like to receive wireless alerts via mobile phone, be sure to check the Send Wireless Alerts to this address box and enter your mobile number and carrier. Once you've saved your subscriber preferences, be sure to select Emergency Alerts for Merchants.
- Follow us on Twitter: oaklandpoliceca
- If you don't have a computer, call (510) 444-CITY for information and/or recorded updates.
- OPD Tip Line: Call (510) 777-8814 24 hours/day to anonymously report tips, rumors and information on disturbances related to the Mehserle verdict.
- Review the Merchant Information Bulletin also available in Spanish, Chinese and Vietnamese. The bulletin is meant to inform and educate, not alarm. We encourage you to share this email and the attached flyer with your merchant neighbors and commercial tenants.
Keeping peace on our streets and protecting Oakland businesses and residents is our top priority. Thank you for your consideration and support.
GovDelivery, Inc. sending on behalf of City of Oakland · One Frank H. Ogawa Plaza · Oakland CA 94612 · 510-444-2489