  • herkloader1
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
      This rings way to close to home.

      http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123007105\

      Kudos out to the loads for doing what it takes to bring the crew
      home safely.
      I had a very simalar situation in the Stans on a Herk.
      We did a ERO out of a dirt LZ.The Load was a big Italian truck that
      had to be winched in due to the fact it did not run.
      Both myself and the other Loadmaster did a walkaround inspection as
      well as checked the paperwork.
      All was well or so we thought.
      The wonderful Army folks did not bother to repair the reason why the
      truck did not run.
      We no sooner got airborne then I turned to the other load to ak if
      he smelled anything and did not finish as I had a river of AV-Gas
      running between my feet.
      The top lines from the tank had been snipped and it syponed all the
      30+ gallons that was left in the tank out onto my floor.
      The truck was offset to the RH side and the tank was buried behind
      the frame.I tried twice to get to it to try to stop it but with all
      the stuf you have to wear now "I had on a Survival Vest,Flack
      Vest,Helmet and O2 with a Walkaround Bottle" it wasn't happening.
      After getting the Pax on O2 and trying to stem the flow we tried to
      get the Haz Mat kit down from the overhead rack.This could not be
      accomplised due to all the gear we had on. We where gonna try to
      make a dam with the Vermiclite.
      I also peeled the armor off from the Paratroop doors and opened them
      for the Smoke and Fume Elimination Procedures.
      It did not help and I was standing ankle deep in AV-Gas.
      After much quick discussion the AC decided to go with my Idead of
      hand pumping the ramp open 4 inches to try to sypon the fuel out.
      This worked like a champ for all the fuel except for the fuel still
      running out of the tank and what was left in the tiedown rings.
      The rest of the flight was spent bouncing between paratroop Doors
      Scaning for threats.
      We landed with out anything else happening at Bagram AB.
      Because of this EP they are supposed to institute this procedure
      into the -1.
      It was also learned that they had shortened the O2 hoses over the
      years to the point where you cannot go from walkaround bottle to a
      permament O2 source without walking several steps without O2.
      The Hoses are gonna be lenghtened to accomadate this.It will also be
      nice during Halo missions.
      The Haz Mat kit is also supposed to get moved to where it can be
      easier accessed.
      We also proved that Quick Dons in the cargo compartment are
      Absolutely Useless in this situation.
      The Air Force Life support has said it is not cost effective to have
      a firefighter style mask in to back.
      Makes me feel really good that they spare no cost for our lives.
      I was submitted for a Acheivement medal that came back and they
      where told to make a higher citation.
      It ended up being a Air Medal but I reckon these folks will get a
      DFC Being a C-17 in Iraq and all.
      To The C-17 crew good job on bringing it home safely!
      To Any active Herk loads have any of these things been implemented?
      Never Ever Trust a Army ATOC they will kill you!
      Chapter 3 is way over used and it should of not been used in there
      case by the book.
      The Atoc Folks are using as a excuse to ship cargo that should not
      be shipped in the mannners it is.
      Rockets in the back of Vehicles along with Fuel all un restrained.
      120 mm Mortors just rolling around in a Conex.
      Items not being weighed just marked and of by upto 10,000lbs as just
      a few examples.
      If it where not for the loadmasters doing what they do best we would
      have surely lost some more aircraft.

      Keep up the great job guys and gals!

      Check Six! Be Safe!

      P-3
    • Timothy Reighter
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2004
        hey p-3, reighter here from dyess, nope not a damn one. none of that stuff has even been talked about, let alone been implemented. the first i heard it from was sam churchill, and thats just because we were all sittin around drinkin a beer talking about f*cked up situations in afghanastan. but then again i'm low on the food chain so shit has to roll pretty damn far fo me to hear about it. the only thing really new in that aspect is our new loadmaster boldface, but even that isnt going to do anything to make the situation any better. haz-mat kits are still up in the over head rack, walk around bottles are still a b*tch to use with the short hoses, and e.p.'s are still the same. and atoc is still atoc.
        t.reighter

        Visit us at www.Loadmasters.com

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • herkloader1
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 16, 2004
          Tim,
          That is really scarey that it has been forgotten so quickly.
          You and Sam should make sure that these changes get done or at least
          that the word gets out about it.
          You could save some lives .
          Ask Amy Jardon about it as she was my AC.
          Dont ask the other load as he was useless as a well I will leave it
          at that.
          Sam will know who he is.
          Murray would probably gladly help you out also.
          You guys get to alaska this summer you better come look me up as I
          have the homebrew going again!
          Tell Sam to stay away from all that tonnage when he goes out!

          Fly Safe Check Six!
          P-3

          --- In Loadmaster@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Reighter <timr8er@y...>
          wrote:
> [...]
          > where told to make a higher citation.
          > It ended up being a Air Medal but I reckon these folks will get a
          > DFC Being a C-17 in Iraq and all.
          > To The C-17 crew good job on bringing it home safely!
          > To Any active Herk loads have any of these things been implemented?
          > Never Ever Trust a Army ATOC they will kill you!
          > Chapter 3 is way over used and it should of not been used in there
          > case by the book.
          > The Atoc Folks are using as a excuse to ship cargo that should not
          > be shipped in the mannners it is.
          > Rockets in the back of Vehicles along with Fuel all un restrained.
          > 120 mm Mortors just rolling around in a Conex.
          > Items not being weighed just marked and of by upto 10,000lbs as
          just
          > a few examples.
          > If it where not for the loadmasters doing what they do best we

          Service.