Re: Loadmasters Group Making a VA claim for disability

  • SamBlu82@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2008
      In a message dated 10/31/2008 11:13:26 P.M. Central Daylight Time, baechle_m@... writes:

      Sam

      It is amazing how fashionable it has become to have been in Vietnam.

      I knew a millionaire with mental problems who claimed he got them in Vietnam; he used that line to pick up women. His wife told me he was never in the service at all.

      There is a guy at our local VFW post who wears a black beret (except when he is wearing his red one) and wears a vest with all sorts of Vietnam-related patches (at least 30 of them) on it. His pickup truck is festooned with all sorts of MIA stickers and other references to Vietnam.  You could get the idea that he  was a grizzled survivor of the worst of the fighting, but he was a truckdriver at Cam Ranh Bay.  He weighs about 350 pounds, from indulging in way too much food and desserts, so now that he has diabetes, he has filed for and received a VA disability for diabetes, and last I heard was trying to get more disability on the grounds of impotence.

      Nice work if you can get it, I suppose.

      Mike,

      It appears that filing for VA benefits has become the American way of life. My closest boyhood friend was in the Army, then went into the Guard and was a Sergeant Major when he retired. He's got all kinds of medical problems and blames them all on Vietnam. Of course, that being a heavy smoker probably didn't help.

      As for veterans organizations, I was a member of the VFW when I was on Okinawa and the American Legion at Clark, but I've not been in either since I got out of the Air Force in 1975. The only veterans organization I'm a member of is the Troop Carrier/Tactical Airlift Association. (www.troopcarrier.org/home.html). My dad flew 30 combat missions with the Eighth Air Force in WW II and my grandfather, who was in the 82nd All American Division in World War I, got him to join the American Legion when he got out of the Army at the end of the war, but as far as I know he never went to a meeting and let his membership lapse.

      By the way, in regard to joy-riding on military aircraft,  three of the women killed in Vietnam were riding on a helicopter that flew into a power line or tree while buzzing the camp where they were stationed.

      I get inquiries about two or three times a year from aerial port or maintenance troops who are filing for PTSD claims because of all of the bodies they handled in Vietnam or in aerial ports in the States.

      Sam McGowan

    • aircrew@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2008
        I enjoy your posts. You know your facts and keep sharing them with us. I
        also belong to all the vet's groups. the one that I like the best is the
        AMVETS. Don't know if there is a post near you, but hope you would look
        at them. Again, keep up the good work. It's clear and a million here
        today, as we use to say in the C-130.