C 130 J Headed to WAR.

  • Walt Baade
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2008
      C-130J Off To War, Opens New Air Force Chapter
      Regular duty to put new cargo plane to test
      By Amy Schlesing, Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
      Capt. Ben Robins raised his hands in the air and cheered from his perch on a concrete barrier near the edge of the Little Rock Air Force Base flight line Monday as he watched the C-130J slowly roll toward the runway.
      Shortly before 6 p.m., as the evening sun set the sky ablaze with streaks of pink and orange, Lt. Col. Dan Tulley, 41st Airlift Squadron commander, coaxed Tail No. 3145 airborne, the first C-130J cargo plane in the active Air Force to deploy to war.
      This moment was nine months in the making - the hardest of Robins' life with possibly the exception, he noted, of the eight sleepless months after his son was born. Since the 41st opened for business in April, Robins - the squadron readiness and mobility officer - has juggled the paperwork necessary to send the base's newest squadron and the Air Force's newest cargo planes to war.
      "We are throwing the newest airframe full time into the desert," said Col. Jeff Hoffer, 463rd Airlift Group commander. "And our guys are excited about it." The Air Force is looking at the 41st - and the 463rd - to help establish the standard for the C-130J. This deployment is the beginning of a constant rotation of 41st troops and planes to the war zone.
      In the next four months, the men and women of the 41st Airlift Squadron and 463rd Airlift Group, will test the Air Force's newest cargo plane, flying missions throughout Iraq, Afghanistan and the Horn of Africa.
      They are a mix of first-timers and veterans.
      The veterans are learning to do their jobs with new technology. Jobs once done by a crew of five are now done by three. Loadmasters now help in the flight deck as much as in the cargo bay.
      But it's not just the new plane that makes the difference for some veterans. Many are now parents and are leaving more behind.
      Tulley pulled a white unicorn with a sparkly horn from his flight bag as he and the other pilots waited for their ride to the plane.
      "Emma Claire gave me Snowy to take with me," he said of his 4-year-old.
      Capt. Christian Garber said, "Sydni [also 4] couldn't part with Jerry the Giraffe, who she sleeps with. So she gave me the Grinch." Capt. Dan Rees looked at a stain on the left sleeve of his flight suit and said, "I'm taking spit-up with me. [Noah's] 9-months-old. " And then just as quickly, the stuffed animals were tucked away and talk turned back to planes and this first deployment.
      When talking about deploying with the J-model, Hoffer flinches at the word "first." He quickly points out that the National Guard and Reserve have deployed J-models for limited amounts of time.
      But the book on the C-130J's abilities has yet to be written. The 41st squadron is expected to fill in those pages with what they learn over the coming years.
      "A lot of stuff is not documented real well," he said.
      Basic protocols - such as the number of mechanics each plane requires and how it is best used in combat - have yet to be established. Most of the current operational requirements are based on an older H-model, which is a very different plane. At first glance, the J-model looks like its H- and E-model siblings, but with 15 more feet of cargo room, stronger engines, digital flight controls and glass displays.
      At the 41st headquarters - a bland, well-worn building sandwiched between parking lots and the flight line - a poster declares the biggest selling point of the $65 million plane: "Out of harm's way faster." With an additional prop on each of its four Rolls Royce engines, the J-model's powerplant packs a bigger wallop than the E- and H-model's Pratt & Whitney engines. It can simply fly faster, farther and haul more than the models of the last three decades.
      The 463rd flies and deploys all three models.
      "I hope to learn the ins and outs and see how it stands up to the heat," Rees said.
      "Gremlins," a plane's quirks and hiccups, quickly surface in combat.
      "I hope to learn they're as reliable in combat as they are at home," Tulley said in the hours before takeoff.
      Tulley built the 41st at Little Rock Air Force Base last year when it moved from Pope Air Force Base, N.C., and became the first C-130J squadron in the active Air Force.
      When the squadron began in April, it had one plane and 10 crew members.
      Now it's grown to five planes and it's personnel more than tenfold.
      Two of those planes are on this first deployment.
      "We're sending them out before they're fully operational. We're sending them in early," Hoffer said.
      The number of people and planes deploying will increase over the next year as the squadron and the fleet grows. The 463rd will grow as well, gaining another squadron, and becoming the dominant unit on base with the majority of the planes and personnel.
      Over the next year, the 41st will gain all 16 of its C-130Js, becoming the largest C-130J squadron in the Air Force, National Guard and Reserve.
      In the undisclosed location where the 41st is headed, Tulley will build a new squadron - the 746th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron. It will be a combination of all three models of the C-130 from active duty bases in the U.S., the Air Force Reserve and the new African Command.
      "On the bright side," Tulley said, "I'm starting a new squadron up from scratch and I have a year's practice now."
    • Matt Self
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2008
        There are so many inaccuracies with that story it is comical. And
        I'm a J guy. You would think someone would edit this stuff before it
        made national news. Too funny.

        --- In Loadmaster@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Baade" <wabaade1@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > gaining another squadron, and becoming the dominant unit on base
        with
        > the majority of the planes and personnel. Over the next year, the
        41st
        > will gain all 16 of its C-130Js, becoming the largest C-130J
        squadron in
        > the Air Force, National Guard and Reserve. In the undisclosed
        location
        > where the 41st is headed, Tulley will build a new squadron - the
        746th
        > Expeditionary Airlift Squadron. It will be a combination of all
        three
        > models of the C-130 from active duty bases in the U.S., the Air
        Force
        > Reserve and the new African Command. "On the bright side," Tulley
        said,
        > "I'm starting a new squadron up from scratch and I have a year's

      • Walt Baade
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2008
          As an ex C 130 B model Loadmaster,(!964-1965-1966)
          I would love to hear more about the J Model.
          Please elaborate on your statement.

          Walt

          --- In Loadmaster@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Self" <shadolm@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > gaining another squadron, and becoming the dominant unit on base
          > with
          > > the majority of the planes and personnel. Over the next year, the
          > 41st
          > > will gain all 16 of its C-130Js, becoming the largest C-130J
          > squadron in
          > > the Air Force, National Guard and Reserve. In the undisclosed
          > location
          > > where the 41st is headed, Tulley will build a new squadron - the
          > 746th
          > > Expeditionary Airlift Squadron. It will be a combination of all
          > three
          > > models of the C-130 from active duty bases in the U.S., the Air
          > Force
          > > Reserve and the new African Command. "On the bright side," Tulley
          > said,
          > > "I'm starting a new squadron up from scratch and I have a year's

        • John Eichenberg
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2008

            He’s right, the story is more than just comical, it’s a disaster and it highlights just how irresponsible the media can be!  I’m an H guy, and flew a mission on a J as a scanner in the desert 2 years ago!  The Guard and Reserve have been flying missions for years, and the brits and the aussies have been doing it just as long or longer.  The reason I flew with the J’s that day was because their other load had gone DNIF, and so when they needed someone I jumped at the chance!  I can tell you one thing, that is a sweet airplane!  There was a lot to like in there including being out of the ground threat in way less than half the time it takes on an H.  the plane I flew on (a “stubbie” they call it because it’s 6 pallet positions) had rollers that flipped over into the floor, electric locks, and grasshopper arms that didn’t need to be disconnected when we put the ramp on the ground!  I don’t know if all the J’s are like that, but if they are those guys got it made.  Another thing was that the load was really busy with preflight, loading, and flight deck duties both before takeoff, and after.  He was doing a lot of stuff that I didn’t really think about before flying with them and was surprised to see.  He did a lot of radio and system stuff.  I have a lot of respect for those guys after flying with them that day!  If I were in the 41st I would be a little embarrassed about how that “news” story came out.

            "Walt Baade" <wabaade1@> wrote:

> [...]
            > with
            > > the majority of the planes and personnel. Over the next year, the
            > 41st
            > > will gain all 16 of its C-130Js, becoming the largest C-130J
            > squadron in
            > > the Air Force, National Guard and Reserve. In the undisclosed
            > location
            > > where the 41st is headed, Tulley will build a new squadron - the
            > 746th
            > > Expeditionary Airlift Squadron. It will be a combination of all
            > three
            > > models of the C-130 from active duty bases in the U.S., the Air
            > Force
            > > Reserve and the new African Command. "On the bright side,"
            Tulley
            > said,
            > > "I'm starting a new squadron up from scratch and I have a year's

          • Matt Self
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 9, 2008
              --- In Loadmaster@yahoogroups.com, "Walt Baade" <wabaade1@...> wrote:

              > As an ex C 130 B model Loadmaster,(!964-1965-1966)
              > I would love to hear more about the J Model.
              > Please elaborate on your statement.
              >
              > Walt
              >

              > Well, first off dont get me wrong. What the 41st did in the last 9
              months is pretty amazing. To go from nothing to a deployment with
              only a handful of experienced people is truly remarkable. What I was
              refering to is the part of the story about the first J to the fight.
              The guard/Reserve have had the airplane in the desert since 03/04,
              not "limited ammounts of time". For most of the last 3-4 years they
              have been putting this airplane thorugh its paces overseas. Then
              they say the 41st is the first active suty J sqadron, which isnt
              true. The school house (48 AS) stood up at the end of 03. While its
              true we are trying to make this a 3 person aircraft, as long as there
              is a theat, there will have to be 2 loadmasters in the back. It is
              truley a 4 person aircraft while deployed. I hope nobody took it the
              wrong way. I love the J, and really look forward to seeing what it
              can do. There are some bugs, but it is head and shoulders above any
              other herk out there. I just find it funny how something gets
              translated into a news article when several details are incorrect.

              Matt

            • SamBlu82@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 11, 2008
                In a message dated 2/8/2008 10:23:04 P.M. Central Standard Time, wabaade1@... writes:
                As an ex C 130 B model Loadmaster,( !964-1965- 1966)
                I would love to hear more about the J Model.
                Please elaborate on your statement.

                Walt
                I'm also an ex C-130B loadmaster (and A and E as well) and I know a little bit about C-130 history. What is so comical is that the J-model was originally conceived in 1966!!!! But it took the Air Force almost forty years to adopt it. Instead of opting for the J - which was based on lessons learned during the first year or so of C-130 operations in Vietnam - the Air Force instead went for the H-model because it was cheaper. I first heard what the J can do when I talked to a couple of Lockheed test pilots in 1997 - one was retired USAF and the other was retired USMC. What they told me revealed that the J-model is light-years ahead of all of the previous models, with performance almost equal to a turbofan. I got to see one up close in 2001 at the first Blind Bat reunion in Biloxi when we were guests of the 815th Airlift Squadron, who had been operating the airplane for sometime and were sold on it, as were the other reserve and guard outfits that were flying it.

                Sam McGowan

                The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. AOL Music takes you there.