civilian field

  • phathobbit47
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12, 2007
      I am thinking of joining the Air Force as a loadmaster. I was wanting
      to know if i didnt enjoy being in the Air force, if there is a good
      civilan carrer as a loadmaster? Any information would help greatly.
    • badmagic3
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2007
        --- In Loadmaster@yahoogroups.com, "phathobbit47" <phathobbit47@...>
        wrote:

        > I am thinking of joining the Air Force as a loadmaster. I was wanting
        > to know if i didnt enjoy being in the Air force, if there is a good
        > civilan carrer as a loadmaster? Any information would help greatly.

        Thats actually a very interesting question with wildly different
        outcomes. IMHO the 1A2 AFSC is a extremely rewarding career in itself.
        First term airman although being qualified as 1A2's really don't master
        any skill sets to become gainfully employed in the civilian sector.
        Some of you may disagree with me and thats OK I'm just giving my
        opinion. I do think however that if a first termer in any career field
        takes advantage of educational opportunities offered numerous positions
        could be available in the logistics fields or whatever one decides to
        major in. I really dont recommend becoming a 1A2 from a try it and see
        4 year window. To many other AFSC's out there that are easily converted
        to civilian employment. Now if one continues to hone ones skills and
        developes a strong reputation over a couple of enlistments the window
        widens abit. But in my opinion you'd better be the best in the field
        for any serious outside opportunities. In the mean time your still
        learning the trade. Around the 12 year mark your feelin pretty good
        about what your doing but ya just dont have that Command job in your
        resume yet. Really need that as the door opens even wider. And I'm not
        talking about flying jobs. Fill all of your squares and yes there is
        all kinds of management positions out there if in fact you have with a
        fairly clean nose.lol. Next thing ya know your 38 got your squares
        covered folks know and like ya and yes you can do almost anything ya
        want. Be very carefull with that position and thinking it may bring ya
        something after one enlistment. Just a thought.
        Mark
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2007

          I was a Marine 0431 working as a load planner and hoping to fill a slot as a Marine C-130 loadmaster when I hit E-6, but I got out.

          That has landed me a great career and I am presently a corporate loadmaster for Northwest Airlines Cargo and function as the manager of cargo Operations in Chicago for B747F's.  But I did two tours of service and when I broke into the civil aviation world, i can say it wasnt at the bottom, but it wasnt at where I am now either.  Like Mark said, it can take years.

          So it isnt impossible to break into the civil aviation's version, but it is hard.  I make a good dollar and with 20 years of experience, I have a lot to look forward to, but a lot of knowledge to fall back on.

          If you are young and willing to join the service, it cant hurt, but dont believe it is easy to get what you want and hope that it leads to a civil career.  I joined the service hoping to be an MP and ended up balancing and loading planes....how'd that happen?

            Bill

          > I am thinking of joining the Air Force as a loadmaster. I was wanting
          > to know if i didnt enjoy being in the Air force, if there is a good
          > civilan carrer as a loadmaster? Any information would help greatly.

          Thats actually a very interesting question with wildly different
          outcomes. IMHO the 1A2 AFSC is a extremely rewarding career in itself.
          First term airman although being qualified as 1A2's really don't master
          any skill sets to become gainfully employed in the civilian sector.
          Some of you may disagree with me and thats OK I'm just giving my
          opinion. I do think however that if a first termer in any career field
          takes advantage of educational opportunities offered numerous positions
          could be available in the logistics fields or whatever one decides to
          major in. I really dont recommend becoming a 1A2 from a try it and see
          4 year window. To many other AFSC's out there that are easily converted
          to civilian employment. Now if one continues to hone ones skills and
          developes a strong reputation over a couple of enlistments the window
          widens abit. But in my opinion you'd better be the best in the field
          for any serious outside opportunities. In the mean time your still
          learning the trade. Around the 12 year mark your feelin pretty good
          about what your doing but ya just dont have that Command job in your
          resume yet. Really need that as the door opens even wider. And I'm not
          talking about flying jobs. Fill all of your squares and yes there is
          all kinds of management positions out there if in fact you have with a
          fairly clean nose.lol. Next thing ya know your 38 got your squares
          covered folks know and like ya and yes you can do almost anything ya
          want. Be very carefull with that position and thinking it may bring ya
          something after one enlistment. Just a thought.
          Mark

        • Maria
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 12, 2007
            A group of our loads ended up working for the FAA.

            > I am thinking of joining the Air Force as a loadmaster. I was wanting
            > to know if i didnt enjoy being in the Air force, if there is a good
            > civilan carrer as a loadmaster? Any information would help greatly.

            Thats actually a very interesting question with wildly different
            outcomes. IMHO the 1A2 AFSC is a extremely rewarding career in itself.
            First term airman although being qualified as 1A2's really don't master
            any skill sets to become gainfully employed in the civilian sector.
            Some of you may disagree with me and thats OK I'm just giving my
            opinion. I do think however that if a first termer in any career field
            takes advantage of educational opportunities offered numerous positions
            could be available in the logistics fields or whatever one decides to
            major in. I really dont recommend becoming a 1A2 from a try it and see
            4 year window. To many other AFSC's out there that are easily converted
            to civilian employment. Now if one continues to hone ones skills and
            developes a strong reputation over a couple of enlistments the window
            widens abit. But in my opinion you'd better be the best in the field
            for any serious outside opportunities. In the mean time your still
            learning the trade. Around the 12 year mark your feelin pretty good
            about what your doing but ya just dont have that Command job in your
            resume yet. Really need that as the door opens even wider. And I'm not
            talking about flying jobs. Fill all of your squares and yes there is
            all kinds of management positions out there if in fact you have with a
            fairly clean nose.lol. Next thing ya know your 38 got your squares
            covered folks know and like ya and yes you can do almost anything ya
            want. Be very carefull with that position and thinking it may bring ya
            something after one enlistment. Just a thought.
            Mark

          • Lloyd Knight
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 2007
              Honestly, there aren't too many opportunities to get employed as a civilian Loadmaster but the field is an excellent lead into other transportation and logistic opportunities.  I am currently a Transportation Manger for UPS Supply Chain Solutions.  UPS rarely hires managers from outside of the company but based on my transportation experience as a loadmaster, my degrees (paid for my 100% tuition assistance from the Air Force), and my leadership skills I managed to land the position.  I have been retired for less then 12 months after 20 years of service and I can still honestly say I had the best job in the Air Force.  I traveled to 56 countries and participated in every conflict from 1987 - 2007.  I also had more responsibility as an 18 year old then most people have in a life time.  The job does have some disadvantages (on the road up to 200 days a year, hard to attend college, hard work, lots of studying throughout your entire career) but the advantages more then make up for it.  Keep gathering input and do your homework like you are doing.  If you are married or looking at getting married, definitely let your other half no what they are in store for.  It take as strong an independent spouse to put up with the career of any aviator.  Good Luck!

            • Victor Santaniello
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 13, 2007

                I was a loadmaster from ’85 – ’89, one hitch and saw the world on the c141b.  The skills and discipline I acquired during that time still assist me today.  After separating, I earned a BS in operations management in less than 3 years while hopping from job to job during that time.  Then I fell into a career in municipal service with a lot of number crunching and paperwork which has led to several other opportunities.  I am a tax assessor working for a city in Massachusetts and, while I am happily employed, I get several job offers on a regular basis.  The discipline helped me to get through college at an accelerated pace, being a veteran has only helped me on interviews, the math skills helped in college and laid the foundation for what I do now, the pressure of having to get things done in a short window in the AF has taught me that I can get anything done under critical time constraints, and being a loadmaster and briefing passengers has helped me to become a good public speaker which is part of my job now.

                Even though I fly a desk now, those 4 years were a period of tremendous growth for me and the skill that I acquired then have been successfully cross-applied into different endeavors.

                Good luck with your decision.

                Victor

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 15, 2007
                  After getting out, my loadmaster skills were put to good use. I threw
                  bags at an airline, fueled airplanes, then got hired into operations
                  (load planning). For an adventure, I became a load planner for Raytheon
                  polar in Antarctica. After that, I went into flight following
                  (dispatch) for the airlines. People see loadmaster on my resume and it
                  looks very good. Getting your private pilots license is also very easy
                  when you have the loadmaster skills. As far as getting a direct job as
                  a civilian loadmaster, there are a few cargo airlines in Anchorage
                  Alaska that hire, but it is very hard to start out in unexperienced.
                  They usually hire from the inside.
                  Amy