Re: Getting the timezone of the local PC programmatically

  • Raju Kosuri
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2001
      Try lr_save_datetime (saves the current date and time to a parameter)

      --- In LoadRunner@y..., "Neil Cameron" <neilc@q...> wrote:
      > BlankGuys,
      >
      > I am currently trying to script a web application, and as part of
      one of the
      > requests the current timezone of the local PC is sent to the
      server. At the
      > moment I have the timezone hard coded (GMT+1:00).
      >
      > What I would like to do is retrieve this programmatically so that
      when the
      > timezone here changes back to GMT this is automatically picked up
      without
      > the need to change the scripts (I live in the UK, and as you
      probably know
      > the UK is one of the daft countries that changes its timezone twice
      a year),
      > any help on this would be much appreciated.
      >
      > Anyone got any ideas?
      >
      > Regards
      > Neil Cameron (Test Engineer)
      > Telelogic (DOORS) UK Ltd
      > 4th Floor, Hanover Buildings
      > Rose Street
      > Edinburgh
      > EH2 2NN
      > Tel: 0131 6223644
      > Fax: 0131 6223700
      > If you have ICQ you can message me. My ICQ#:16318381
      > Or visit my Personal ICQ Homepage: http://members.icq.com/16318381
      > My current status is:
      > If you don't have ICQ you can page me through my Personal
      Communication
      > Center: http://wwp.icq.com/16318381 (go there and try it!)
      > Or
      > You can send me a regular e-mail to my EmailExpress address:
      > 16318381@p...
      > If you want to add me to your Contact List click Add Me
      > Download ICQ at http://www.icq.com/
    • Neil Cameron
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2, 2001
        it is not so much the actual date and time but the timezone I am looking
        for, does this function save the timezone (ie GMT+1:00)

        Try lr_save_datetime (saves the current date and time to a parameter)

        --- In LoadRunner@y..., "Neil Cameron" <neilc@q...> wrote:
        > BlankGuys,
        >
        > I am currently trying to script a web application, and as part of
        one of the
        > requests the current timezone of the local PC is sent to the
        server. At the
        > moment I have the timezone hard coded (GMT+1:00).
        >
        > What I would like to do is retrieve this programmatically so that
        when the
        > timezone here changes back to GMT this is automatically picked up
        without
        > the need to change the scripts (I live in the UK, and as you
        probably know
        > the UK is one of the daft countries that changes its timezone twice
        a year),
        > any help on this would be much appreciated.
        >
        > Anyone got any ideas?
        >
        > Regards
        > Neil Cameron (Test Engineer)
        > Telelogic (DOORS) UK Ltd
        > 4th Floor, Hanover Buildings
        > Rose Street
        > Edinburgh
        > EH2 2NN
        > Tel: 0131 6223644
        > Fax: 0131 6223700
        > If you have ICQ you can message me. My ICQ#:16318381
        > Or visit my Personal ICQ Homepage: http://members.icq.com/16318381
        > My current status is:
        > If you don't have ICQ you can page me through my Personal
        Communication
        > Center: http://wwp.icq.com/16318381 (go there and try it!)
        > Or
        > You can send me a regular e-mail to my EmailExpress address:
        > 16318381@p...
        > If you want to add me to your Contact List click Add Me
        > Download ICQ at http://www.icq.com/

      • Richard At Lee Systems
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2001
          No. What this or any other function knows is the time in the
          host's BIOS without any time zone definition. You'll have to know and
          calculate it from there.

          If you need to add one hour, it needs to be stated in seconds --
          3600....

          Richard

          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2001
            yeah but what I need to get is the timezone info as held in the regional
            settings of windows, I assume there is an api call that I can make that will
            tell me this info, I just dont know which api call to use. I dont really
            care about the time all I need to know is the timezone.

            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2001
              Blank
              thanks steph, I will look into that, I knew if anyone was gonna give me an answer it would be you :)
              You can try using the lr_save_datetime function to get the current timezone.

              Stephanie
              NetJuice Consulting

              Message 6 of 18 , May 3, 2001
                Are you load testing or functional testing? What's the deal about
                the time zone?

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 18 , May 3, 2001
                  I am load testing, the app server requires that the current clients timezone
                  be sent (this is so that oracle can timestamp stuff the way we want it to).
                  Rather than, every time the UK timezone changes, me going and manually
                  changing this in the script, I want to be able to get the timezone at
                  runtime, we are also making sure that the timestamps in oracle are not being
                  corrupted under load, so I guess it is Load/Functional testing that this
                  script will be used for. Once this script has run we just open the client
                  and look at the date/time on the data created by my script.

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3, 2001
                    This is an appropriate usage of LoadRunner, **in my opinion**,
                    data corruption is the by-product of some stress tests and you
                    are assuring that it does / does not occur.

                    As for the time zone, I've forgotten more than I remember.
                    Look in the \include directory for the .h files, search on
                    date, and you'll find a whole section on date format
                    definitions for the date function. It just might have the local
                    machine's time zone format....Or, you'll have to get a Microsoft
                    Windows Programming book, Jeff Richey writes the best one, to find
                    the API call to a dll, include it and make the call....

                    Richard

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 3, 2001
                      cool, cheers Richard, much appreciated

                    • ssylve1445@mindspring.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 3, 2001
                        If what you are after is to see if the time stamp that the host PC is using is GMT+1:00 then when you set up the machine you would set the time, if there is time change, the computer will automatically change the time when you boot up after the time changes. the lr_save_time function grabs the time from the host machine so as long as you set up the operating system correctly to automatically change time when it needs to you do not need to worry about GMT+1:00 unless you want to test the current time and time change at once. Or maybe I am missing something.

                        Stephanie
                        NetJuice Consulting

                      • William Selph
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 3, 2001
                          Based on your problem: "the UK is one of the daft countries that changes its
                          timezone twice a year,"
                          Assumption for the proposed solutions below: this will not actually work
                          dynamically when the time changes within your locality i.e. 2:00 P.M.
                          changing to 3:00 P.M. These proposed solutions allow you to write your
                          script once using a variable "timezone" or what ever you name it to adjust
                          within your script.

                          I would choose to use a LR passed parameter to the script from the command
                          line within the scenario.
                          Then you change your scenario setup and not your scripts.
                          I would not think that this would be important.
                          If you are actually testing during this time change period then change the
                          scenario and start the test with the corrected value for "timezone".
                          If it were my choice I would just pass it to the script within the scenario
                          so groups can take on different time zones within the same host.

                          Another option would be within the set up of your LR host computers and your
                          VUGEN computer to have a system "environment variable" appropriate for you
                          (found under "system properties").
                          Your vuser script can access this and use it programmatically.
                          You can then have hosts in different time zones using a variable like
                          timezone = i.e. GMT+1:00.

                          It is your script and it is your host computers!!!!

                          Sincerely, William (Bill) Selph
                          Licensed Professional Engineer
                          Pager: 800.206.3443 Text messaging: 2063443@...
                          Professional Email: wselph@...

                          This correspondence may contain confidential information intended for the
                          use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of
                          this electronic message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
                          agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby
                          notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly
                          prohibited.
                        • Andrew McFarlane
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 3, 2001
                            Is this what you're looking for?

                            typedef long time_t;
                            struct timeb {
                            time_t time; /* Elapsed seconds since 00:00:00 GMT, 01 Jan 1971 */
                            unsigned short millitm; /* Additional elapsed milliseconds */
                            short timezone; /* Difference in minutes between GMT and local
                            time */
                            short dstflag; /* Nonzero if daylight saving is in effect locally
                            */
                            };

                            Action1()
                            {

                            struct timeb timePtr;

                            ftime(&timePtr);

                            lr_output_message("Local timezone is %d hours different than GMT.",
                            timePtr.timezone/60 );
                            return 0;
                            }

                            Andrew

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 3, 2001
                              I plagarized the following time-related code from a MSVC++ document, and ran
                              it in LR:

                              #include "as_web.h"
                              typedef long time_t;

                              struct timeb {
                              time_t time;
                              unsigned short millitm;
                              short timezone;
                              short dstflag;
                              };

                              struct tm {
                              int tm_sec; /* seconds after the minute - [0,59] */
                              int tm_min; /* minutes after the hour - [0,59] */
                              int tm_hour; /* hours since midnight - [0,23] */
                              int tm_mday; /* day of the month - [1,31] */
                              int tm_mon; /* months since January - [0,11] */
                              int tm_year; /* years since 1900 */
                              int tm_wday; /* days since Sunday - [0,6] */
                              int tm_yday; /* days since January 1 - [0,365] */
                              int tm_isdst; /* daylight savings time flag */
                              };

                              struct tm* gmtime( const time_t* );
                              struct tm* localtime( const time_t* );

                              extern char* tzname[2];

                              Action1() {
                              char tmpbuf[128], ampm[] = "AM";
                              time_t ltime;
                              struct timeb tstruct;
                              struct tm *today, *gmt, xmas = { 0, 0, 12, 25, 11, 93 };

                              /* Set time zone from TZ environment variable. If TZ is not set,
                              * the operating system is queried to obtain the default value
                              * for the variable.
                              */
                              _tzset();

                              /* Display operating system-style date and time. */
                              _strtime( tmpbuf );
                              lr_output_message( "OS time:\t\t\t\t%s", tmpbuf );
                              _strdate( tmpbuf );
                              lr_output_message( "OS date:\t\t\t\t%s", tmpbuf );

                              /* Get UNIX-style time and display as number and string. */
                              time( <ime );
                              lr_output_message( "Time in seconds since UTC 1/1/70:\t%ld", ltime );
                              lr_output_message( "UNIX time and date:\t\t\t%s", ctime( <ime ) );

                              /* Display UTC. */
                              gmt = gmtime( <ime );
                              lr_output_message( "Coordinated universal time:\t\t%s", asctime( gmt )
                              );

                              /* Convert to time structure and adjust for PM if necessary. */
                              today = localtime( <ime );
                              if( today->tm_hour > 12 )
                              {
                              strcpy( ampm, "PM" );
                              today->tm_hour -= 12;
                              }
                              if( today->tm_hour == 0 ) /* Adjust if midnight hour. */
                              today->tm_hour = 12;

                              /* Note how pointer addition is used to skip the first 11
                              * characters and lr_output_message is used to trim off terminating
                              * characters.
                              */
                              lr_output_message( "12-hour time:\t\t\t\t%.8s %s",
                              asctime( today ) + 11, ampm );

                              /* Print additional time information. */
                              _ftime( &tstruct );
                              lr_output_message( "Plus milliseconds:\t\t\t%u", tstruct.millitm );
                              lr_output_message( "Zone difference in seconds from UTC:\t%u",
                              tstruct.timezone );
                              lr_output_message( "Time zone name:\t\t\t\t%s", tzname[0] );
                              lr_output_message( "Daylight savings:\t\t\t%s",
                              tstruct.dstflag ? "YES" : "NO" );

                              /* Make time for noon on Christmas, 1993. */
                              if( mktime( &xmas ) != (time_t)-1 )
                              lr_output_message( "Christmas\t\t\t\t%s", asctime( &xmas ) );

                              /* Use time structure to build a customized time string. */
                              today = localtime( <ime );

                              /* Use strftime to build a customized time string. */
                              strftime( tmpbuf, 128,
                              "Today is %A, day %d of %B in the year %Y.", today );
                              lr_output_message( tmpbuf );
                              }

                              I got the results:

                              Virtual User Script started
                              Running Vuser...
                              Starting iteration 1.
                              Action1.c(42): OS time: 21:43:07
                              Action1.c(44): OS date: 05/03/01
                              Action1.c(48): Time in seconds since UTC 1/1/70: 988947787
                              Action1.c(49): UNIX time and date: Thu May 03 21:43:07 2001
                              Action1.c(53): Coordinated universal time: Fri May 04 03:43:07 2001
                              Action1.c(69): 12-hour time: 09:43:07 PM
                              Action1.c(74): Plus milliseconds: 422
                              Action1.c(75): Zone difference in seconds from UTC: 420
                              Action1.c(77): Time zone name: Mountain Standard Time
                              Action1.c(78): Daylight savings: YES
                              Action1.c(83): Christmas Sat Dec 25 12:00:00 1993
                              Action1.c(91): Today is Thursday, day 03 of May in the year 2001.
                              Ending iteration 1.
                              Ending Vuser...

                              Andrew

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 3, 2001
                                I plagarized the following code from a MSVC++ doc:

                                #include "as_web.h"
                                typedef long time_t;

                                struct timeb {
                                time_t time;
                                unsigned short millitm;
                                short timezone;
                                short dstflag;
                                };

[...]

                                I got on my PC:

                                Virtual User Script started
                                Running Vuser...
                                Starting iteration 1.
                                Action1.c(42): OS time: 21:43:07
                                Action1.c(44): OS date: 05/03/01
                                Action1.c(48): Time in seconds since UTC 1/1/70: 988947787
                                Action1.c(49): UNIX time and date: Thu May 03
                                21:43:07 2001
                                Action1.c(53): Coordinated universal time: Fri May 04
                                03:43:07 2001
                                Action1.c(69): 12-hour time: 09:43:07 PM
                                Action1.c(74): Plus milliseconds: 422
                                Action1.c(75): Zone difference in seconds from UTC: 420
                                Action1.c(77): Time zone name: Mountain
                                Standard Time
                                Action1.c(78): Daylight savings: YES
                                Action1.c(83): Christmas Sat Dec 25
                                12:00:00 1993
                                Action1.c(91): Today is Thursday, day 03 of May in the year 2001.
                                Ending iteration 1.
                                Ending Vuser...
                                Vuser Terminated.

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 4, 2001
                                  it is not the time that I need to send to the AUT it is the text "GMT+1:00",
                                  all I needed was a way to get this from the pc on the client side, I have a
                                  couple of solutions to try, and have a feeling that one at least is going to
                                  do what I want it to, thanks for your advise but I think I worded the
                                  original e-mail wrong and confused a couple of people.

                                  Regards
                                  Neil

                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 4, 2001
                                    perfect, thanks a lot