Jprobe

  • Rajnish Behal
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 1, 2010
      Hi,
      We are having issue of Lot of GC happening in weblogic Portal, i tried to probe with Mercury Diagnostic tool, but it has so much of overhead , i am unable to take snapshot, Just wondering if someone has experience with Jprobe, or if you guys can point to some good information site about Jprobe. Please advise.

    • chaitanya bhatt
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
        Please provide us details of your JVM settings or the upload the whole
        startup.bat file itself so that we can get a better understanding of your
        JVM configuration.

        The key information which we need to know before giving you inputs are:
        1. Is your JVM running on Automatic mode or behavior based mode?
        2. Is your JVM running as Server Class or Client Class
        3. What is your application memory footprint?
        4. What is your JVM memory footprint?
        5. Which section of the heap is experiencing excessive collection?
        6. Are you observing frequent Major collection?
        7. Do you have a GCprint or Verbose:gc print?

        Sorry for storming you with so many questions, but it is very important for
        anyone to know these information before suggesting you on improving JVM
        performance.

        Chaitanya M Bhatt
        Website: http://www.performancecompetence.com

        On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Rajnish Behal <rajnish_behal@...>wrote:

        > Hi,
        > We are having issue of Lot of GC happening in weblogic Portal, i tried to
        > probe with Mercury Diagnostic tool, but it has so much of overhead , i am
        > unable to take snapshot, Just wondering if someone has experience with
        > Jprobe, or if you guys can point to some good information site about Jprobe.
        > Please advise.

      • Tomlinson, Mark
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 8, 2010
          JProbe will not really help you here.

          Excessive GC can be caused by many things:

          1) The application(s) really does need to GC that often...and you have to optimize the platform/scale-out.

          2) The code is explicitly disposing the objects, too frequently or more than needed.

          3) The application object size dictates promotion, but the lifespan is too short (G0->LO->Dispose).

          4) It's a symptom of being under load...you should be adding think time and gradually increasing load scenario to diagnose.

          -mt

          Mark Tomlinson<mailto:mark.tomlinson@...?subject=hey%20mark>, LoadRunner Product Manager, Office: +1.408.447.2341