Mainframe Stress Testing

  • Jerry Schwartz
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
      Hi Load Testers!

      I've been playing with LoadRunner trying to use it as a tool for stressing
      Mainframe CICS applications. I've been successful in getting PowerTerm to
      connect (via TN3270) to the mainframe and running multiple Vusers from a
      Controller. However, at Mainframe speeds, creating stress looks like it's
      going to take LOTS of Vusers! Mercury tells me that over about 1,500 Vusers
      will cost $100K and more.

      Has anyone used LoadRunner in this way? What were your experiences? Is
      there a better way to create mainframe stress?

      Thanks for advice;
      Jerry
    • Trock, Ken (NJAOST)
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
        Hi Jerry, we too use LR to stress test apps that make mainframe Cics calls.
        These are typically web apps so that our web server(s) would bottleneck way
        before our mainframe. We do our testing with only 10-20 Vusers. I'm sure
        other testing groups in our company use more than that but nowhere near
        1500. For 1 thing we wouldn't want to generate that much traffic anyway. In
        fact, 1 of our developers created a stub program which eliminates the
        mainframe call. Instead, we tell the stub how long to wait in order to
        simulate the back end call. This info we get from the database guys. I'm not
        exactly sure how they make their estimations. Sorry I can't be of more help.

        Ken Trock
        Merrill Lynch

        I've been playing with LoadRunner trying to use it as a tool for stressing
        Mainframe CICS applications. I've been successful in getting PowerTerm to
        connect (via TN3270) to the mainframe and running multiple Vusers from a
        Controller. However, at Mainframe speeds, creating stress looks like it's
        going to take LOTS of Vusers! Mercury tells me that over about 1,500 Vusers
        will cost $100K and more.

        Has anyone used LoadRunner in this way? What were your experiences? Is
        there a better way to create mainframe stress?

        Thanks for advice;
        Jerry

        Create a list for FRIENDS & FAMILY...
        ...and YOU can WIN $100 to Amazon.com. For details, go to
        http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

      • Jerry Schwartz
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
          Ken;

          Thanks for your reply... I'm beginning to think that LoadRunner, although
          it allows me to connect to my mainframe via a 3270 connection, is not the
          tool to stress a machine that can easily handle hundreds of Vusers. The RTE
          telnet connection is probably best used to stress a UNIX server and not a
          mainframe.

          I'm just trying to please my boss by using a tools that we already own.

          Thanks again;
          Jerry
        • Mark McWhinney
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
            Have you tried to reduce or ignore think times and iteration intervals? It
            won't give you realistic results but will give you some indication as to how
            many vusers you may really need.

            You could also try running batch programs in the background to create some
            artificial CPU and disk I/O load while the vusers are running.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 5, 1999
              Hi Mark;

              Thanks for suggestions. I've set LoadRunner to ignore think
              times/intervals. Right now, I'm only running a "proof-of-concept" test with
              14 Vusers. Hardly enough to create real mainframe stress! I am most
              successful by setting a rendezvous point and having all Vusers exercise
              their activity at the same time. But even with the rendezvous point set
              (creating an unrealistic scenario) I'm afraid that the mainframe will
              handle lots of Vusers with no significant stress.

              Your other suggestion of running batch work simultaneously is a good one.
              Of course, that gets into the issue of trying to simulate a production
              environment (with lots of stuff running) on a test machine (with different
              resources and configuration). Have you tried to "simulate" mainframe stress
              by running lots of batch work?

              Thanks;
              Jerry