Re: Manual Correlation: web_reg_save_param

  • email2mymail
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi all:
      (Tim: \r\n does'nt work!!!)

      my sample script:
      <select name="xxxxxxx" id="yyyyyy" size="10" MULTIPLE>

      <option value="1234567890" > 1234567890

      <option value="1234567891" > 1234567891

      1. First i try to do Automatic correlation: Go to RecordingOptions->
      Correlation and try this Test...defining a rule -

      Action : search for all parameters in all of the body text
      LeftBoundary : yyyyyy" size="10" MULTIPLE> <option value="
      RightBoundary: " >

      NOW WHAT SHOULD I GIVE BETWEEN ...MULTIPLE> AND <option...
      (\r &/ \n does'nt work)

      [[[you can test there directly, copy&paste above things and Test]]]

      2. Also for the first Option stmt, its ok...to read the succeeding,
      if any Option stmts, can i use ORD=All - i don't think bcoz the left
      boundary will not be same as for the first occurance.

      Thank you all.

      --- In LoadRunner@y..., Tim Nichols <tpnichols@y...> wrote:
      > V.V. -
      >
      > Generally, carriage return-linefeed combinations are depicted
      as "\r\n"
      > in the printable form, 0D 0A in hex, 13 10 in decimal.
      >
      > I'm not clear on why you cannot use ORD=ALL (other than having some
      > unearthly number of occurances on the page). If you have to examine
      > each occurance, I'm thinking this is the only officially sanctioned
      > method of accomplishing the objective. In terms of C programming,
      you
      > could capture the entire page and then examine each character using
      > character pointer incremented through the entire buffer.
      >
      > Where there's a business problem, there's a programming solution.
      >
      > Tim Nichols
      >
      > --- email2mymail <email2mymail@y...> wrote:
      > > Hi all:
      > >
      > > In Load Runner script I am trying for manual correlation:
      > >
      > > I am using the function: web_reg_save_paramm
      > >
      > > The Leftboundary i should give includes a new line character
      i.e., in

      > > the generated HTML, there is a newline character, which i must
      > > include in my leftboundary.
      > >
      > > Is there any special character (like for eg. to enter double
      quotes
      > > you use the escape character \ ) - so that i can take the newline
      > > character into consideration.
      > >
      > > Also how to proceed if I have this thing like <option value = >
      which

      > > will occur repeatedly …#34; i.e, the left boundaries???.
      > >
      > > Identifying first occurrence is OK but how to get the succeeding
      > > occurrences BECAUSE LEAVING THE FIRST OCCURANCE THE SUCCEEDING
      > > OCCURANCES HAVE DIFFERENT FROM THE FIRST AND COMMON FOR THE REST
      (i
      > > cannot use ORD=All)
      > >
      > > Thanks for reading the post and replying for the same.
      > >
      > > V.V

      > http://health.yahoo.com
    • Tim Nichols
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
        Dude,

        If you are trying to capture the sequence of numbers between the quotes
        the relevant parameters to the web_reg_save_param can be:

        "LB=<option value=\"",
        "RB=\""

        In any case, I still stand by my original statement that I'm not clear
        on why you don't want to use the ORD=ALL option and capture all of the
        "option value" lines. Forget about using MULTIPLE as a left boundary,
        capture all of these values and use the index to select an appropriate
        value. If there are more of these strings on the page not within the
        "MULTIPLE" neighborhood that you are concerned about having to bypass ,
        worry thou not. We can help you step through, under or around the
        occurrances.

        My friend, join us on the C side of scripting, forget the tree view,
        and you find yourself many tens of kilometers ahead.

        Tim Nichols

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • Mayur Purandar
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
          Could u lemme know as what C side of scripting really is?
          Do u mean to say that C code can be embedded in the LR script????

          Regards
          Mayur Purandar

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
            Certo, Claro...

            This tool is all about C. The "tree view" was added (heck, the whole
            automated recording mechanism thingy came along several years after the
            product's debut) several versions ago to make the product "feel" user
            friendly, what with the icons and expanding tree and all.

            To See the C, either go through the View menu to Script View or click
            on the Standard Toolbar the icon representing Script View.

            Tim Nichols

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
              Hi Tim:

              Thanks for your replies. But still I am not clear:

              My scenario is like this: You have a list of numbers in large qty
              (variable count) on the left side. And you have few numbers on the
              left â€" the purpose being able to move numbers left/right â€" ultimately
              the numbers on the list to the right will be passed on to the next
              page.

              1. You cannot go for <option value = … because you exactly don’t know
              the total count in the first list.
              [A WAY FOR THIS WILL BE IF WE CAN PLACE OURSELF i.e., get the cursor
              there; AT THE START of SECOND LIST AND USE WEB_REG_SAVE_PARAM FN.
              FROM THERE - i mean ignore the previous option... list]

              --Ps. Forget the above if you feel bored/annoyed.

              2. Tim, don’t you think by embedding the C functions in our script,
              the final Analysis gets misleaded. Is it possible that these set of C
              stmts be segregated into a transaction and be ignored in the Analysis.

              Finally a question: how do you capture dynamic data on a page â€"
              without using web_ functions of LR; with using C fns: Copying whole
              script into a txt file should not be a solution â€" then how can you go
              to that particular location of the script and save that section into
              a txt file.

              Thanks once again.
              V.V.

            • Tim Nichols
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2, 2002
                V.V.

                Great to hear from you again!

                --- email2mymail <email2mymail@...> wrote:
                > Hi Tim:
                >
                > Thanks for your replies. But still I am not clear:
                >
                > My scenario is like this: You have a list of numbers in large qty
                > (variable count) on the left side. And you have few numbers on the
                > left ��" the purpose being able to move numbers left/right ��"
                > ultimately
                > the numbers on the list to the right will be passed on to the next
                > page.
                >
                > 1. You cannot go for <option value = ��� because you exactly don���t
                > know
                > the total count in the first list.
                > [A WAY FOR THIS WILL BE IF WE CAN PLACE OURSELF i.e., get the cursor
                > there; AT THE START of SECOND LIST AND USE WEB_REG_SAVE_PARAM FN.
                > FROM THERE - i mean ignore the previous option... list]

                Ok, I think I understand. The precise reason for ORD=ALL is for a case
                such as you describe above - the size of the list is unknown or
                dynamic. Once you have captured the list you can select one, some or
                all of the elements. There is a nifty piece of code spinning on
                Mercury's Support website that provides a kickstart to selecting an
                element randomly.

                > 2. Tim, don't you think by embedding the C functions in our script,
                > the final Analysis gets misleaded. Is it possible that these set of C
                > stmts be segregated into a transaction and be ignored in the
                Analysis.

                > Finally a question: how do you capture dynamic data on a page
                > without using web_ functions of LR; with using C fns: Copying whole
                > script into a txt file should not be a solution" then how can you
                > go to that particular location of the script and save that section
                > into a txt file.

                A quick way to grab the page is actually by using the web function
                we've been discussing - you just broaden the left and right boundaries
                to include the entire document - "LB=<HTML", "RB=/HTML>". From there
                you can set a pointer to this area and root around to your heart's
                content!

                As for the CPU time taken by the additional C functions, as a rule I
                keep them outside of the transaction markers (brilliant!). There might
                be the occasional situtation where this is not possible, but as long as
                you aren't looping unnecessarily within a transaction, the results
                shouldn't be skewed. By this I mean that the code should be written
                concisely (is there any other way???) if it is going to be inside a
                transaction.

                If you want more details, it would be more efficient if you post the
                page here so we can take the shot.

                Tim

                http://health.yahoo.com
              • Mayur Purandar
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 4, 2002
                  is that it????
                  Some one has a problem and he gets replies like this???
                  If u can't solve the problem that I gues the next best thing is to keep
                  quite.

                  VV, all u have to do is

                  1> Record the script.
                  2> Run the script with Recording Options set to log all data received from
                  the server.
                  3> Spot in that log as to what data u wannu correlate.
                  4> Mark the left and right boundry of that data and user web_reg_save_param.

                  Make sure u type it...in the script view (The C side as per Mr Tim) Coz the
                  VUGen adds Escape characters to the boundries.

                  Hope this helps

                  Mayur