Testing Infrastructure and Modem use

  • mattjjackson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi
      Im carrying out testing of our website with loadrunner. I was
      wondering what sort of infrastructure you people use when performing
      your testing. At present we use a third party company who have a
      large pipe to the net to test our external test site. What I was
      wondering was if people generally did their testing over the web or
      through their internal environment?
      Im also replicating modem use at the moment and im trying to relate
      the figures im getting to the figures a home user would get as they
      would be using an ISP and be reliant on their severs and caching
      procedures etc. Does anyone have any idea to get a rough idea of how
      to relate these figures? eg If loadrunner reports 5 seconds to load a
      page will it take a home user 10 seconds to load it?

      Thanks In Advance

      Matt
    • Stephanie
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
        your approach of testing both internally and externally is great because
        many times the bottleneck is in the firewall. I would say that if you test
        externally and get 5 secs, it is a pretty good assumption that the user at
        home will get 5 secs. Remember that you can not test every ISP's network so
        everyone but some using ISP.com may get 5 secs and ISP.com is getting 7 secs
        because there is something wrong with its network. The ISP.com user will
        know that it is not your site that is terrible since all sites she visits
        will be dog slow.

        Stephanie
        Initiatives