RE: [LoadRunner] recording a file download response

  • James Pulley
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2006
      Training is the path to enlightenment. Each of the steps in this journey
      are grounded in the chapters of the user documentation. J, you have
      provided little insight into what steps along this path you have already
      taken. We do not know if you have had training, or if you have had
      training if it has been with a Mercury credentialed instructor. We do not
      know from your response what your own research has lead you to conclude
      about the answer to this question, what you have already attempted and what
      the success of the attempts have been. We do not know what version of
      LoadRunner you have, 4.5,5.0x,6.0x,6.5x,7.0x,7.5x,7.8x or 8.xy? We do not
      have an understanding of the protocol which you are attempting to make use
      of or whether or not this protocol is even appropriate for your application.

      As you can see, the unknowns are many and the assumptions would have to be
      great in number. Invariably some of the assumptions would be wrong. An
      example

      Assumptions:
      Training none
      version LoadRunner 6.02, "trail license...."
      OS Version Windows Vista, Premium Edition
      Protocol ODBC 2.x ( with FTP for file transfer

      Answer: Normally the answer would be yes, there is a way
      to obtain the byte transfer information, but
      since your version of LoadRunner is so old
      and running on an unsupported platform to
      boot, all bets are off.

      The short answer to your question is yes. The actual mechanism for
      determining the number of bytes is protocol and version dependent. Go
      hunting for the answer in the documentation. It ain't hard to locate, even
      if you had to read over every API call for a given protocol. This
      profession rewards both curiosity and rigor in testing.

      Be curious....

      'Pulley

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
        The same question has been asked before here or in sqaforums and so
        good solutions also given.

        So better check the old threads.
      • sadishkumarp
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2007
          Hi Jay,

          Just record the script as like you are downloading a file then
          implement the following logic in the request we you making a dwonload
          in the ,log u can see the download file size

          Hi
          we measure the download file size during file download and here
          is the piece of code for that implethis and in the LRoutput check the
          output file size.it will be there in the log

          declare this

          int HttpRetCode=0;

          long DSize=0;

          float DTime=0;

          then use this code

          HttpRetCode = web_get_int_property(HTTP_INFO_RETURN_CODE);

          DSize = web_get_int_property(HTTP_INFO_DOWNLOAD_SIZE);

          DTime = web_get_int_property(HTTP_INFO_DOWNLOAD_TIME);

          if (HttpRetCode > 400)
          {
          lr_output_message("The Vuser failed to OpenPDF");
          lr_output_message("Iteration - %s",lr_eval_string("{ItNum}"));
          }

          else

          {

          lr_output_message("The Vuser successfully open the PDF");

          lr_output_message("Status code - %d",HttpRetCode);

          lr_output_message("File Download size - %ld KB",DSize / 1024);

          lr_output_message("File Download Time - %.2f Seconds",DTime/1000);
          }

          if ( DSize == 0 )
          {

          lr_end_transaction("Transactionname", LR_FAIL);
          lr_error_message("%s",lr_eval_string("Transactionname failed for
          ItNum {ItNum}, UserID {UserID}, VuserID {VuserID}, LR_Host {LR_Host},
          LR_Group {LR_Group}, Time {Time}"));
          return 0;
          }