Re: [LoadRunner] Think time

  • ramesh viswanathan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2005
      hi shy ram

      basically think time is not selected in random way and its totally wrong to put your own values.

      here is what u need to do. first do not panic, understand everything from end user point of view, finally apply your statistical skills thats it its a simple as drinking tropicana applejuice in ur canteen , ok enjoy ur weekend.

      Understand the application first.

      Step1. Since u know the scenario assume u r the end user and u go through the scenario as quickly a possible because here u know what are the steps that need to be clicked next. Hence have start and stop timer and have a reading for this step1. Lets say its X1. ( lets say that ur scenario is something like homepage, login , transaction clicks 1, 2, 3...xx and finally logout. )

      Step2. Now bring ur colleague who is also working on similar application and give him the click stream, i mean scenario steps, ask him to go through the click stream ( lets say that ur scenario is something like homepage, login , transaction clicks 1, 2, 3...xx and finally logout. ) have start and stop timer and note down the value say X2.

      Step3. Now bring a person who is not aware about the application and ask him to go through the same process and record his start and stop time say X3.

      Now avg X1+X2+X3
      -------------- = X.
      3
      So X is ur actual think time.U need to adjust your runtime settings on random selection between values value1 and value2 so that the avg think time is around X. So better have standard think time like 10 secs or 30 secons in ur script and based on this have a randmomized value ( e.g 75% to 150% or 15% to 100% so that u get ur avg think thime. ).

      Hope u got the solution.

      If still confusing please call me at 91 44 28157242.

      Thanks and Rgds
      Ramesh Viswanathan

      Shy Ram <shyramlr@...> wrote:
      Hi all
      Can any body tell me that in the controller for think time which option is better
      replay as recorded,ignore or use random % recorded think time
      Iran my scripts using random % recorded think ,results were not good mean high transaction time and run time also high
      Thanks,
      shy

      ---------------------------------

      "The soul is born old, but grows young. That is the comedy of life. The body is born young and grows old. That is life's tragedy.” —Oscar Wilde

    • Joshua Rector
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2005
        How about which one is appropriate for your scenario. Here's an idea...figure out what you are trying to simulate...Then read the manual and see which one works best for you. I can't help but think of the parable of the fisherman...

        Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day...Teach a man to fish he'll eat for a lifetime...Read your manuals or go to class and you'll be "fishing" for yourself!

        Have fun,
        Josh
        Shy Ram <shyramlr@...> wrote:
        Hi all
        Can any body tell me that in the controller for think time which option is better
        replay as recorded,ignore or use random % recorded think time
        Iran my scripts using random % recorded think ,results were not good mean high transaction time and run time also high
        Thanks,
        shy

      • ramesh shyadligeri
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2005
          Hey Josh
          I will tell you one thing i red manual n didn't get so
          i post a query i thought this group is to share
          knowledge rite?
          do you think by birth only u know load runner no buddy
          its learning curve if you want share your knowledge
          share if not don't give that kind of suggestion
          Thanks,
          shyram

          --- Joshua Rector <joshua_rector@...> wrote:

          > How about which one is appropriate for your
          > scenario. Here's an idea...figure out what you are
          > trying to simulate...Then read the manual and see
          > which one works best for you. I can't help but
          > think of the parable of the fisherman...
          >
          > Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day...Teach a man
          > to fish he'll eat for a lifetime...Read your manuals
          > or go to class and you'll be "fishing" for yourself!
          >
          > Have fun,
          > Josh
          > Shy Ram <shyramlr@...> wrote:
          > Hi all
          > Can any body tell me that in the controller for
          > think time which option is better
          > replay as recorded,ignore or use random % recorded
          > think time
          > Iran my scripts using random % recorded think
          > ,results were not good mean high transaction time
          > and run time also high
          > Thanks,
          > shy

          > removed]

          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          > removed]

          "Aim for sky at lest you hit the dust"

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2005
            kids, ya give them books and all they want to do is
            chew up the pages.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2005
              I bet they need some one to chew the pages up for
              them.

              --- Michael Foley <michaelf30189@...> wrote:

              > kids, ya give them books and all they want to do is
              > chew up the pages.
              >

              > --- ramesh shyadligeri <rams692@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hey Josh
              > > I will tell you one thing i red manual n didn't
              > get
              > > so
              > > i post a query i thought this group is to share
              > > knowledge rite?
              > > do you think by birth only u know load runner no
              > > buddy
              > > its learning curve if you want share your
              > knowledge
              > > share if not don't give that kind of suggestion
              > > Thanks,
              > > shyram
              > >
              > > --- Joshua Rector <joshua_rector@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > How about which one is appropriate for your
              > > > scenario. Here's an idea...figure out what you
              > > are
              > > > trying to simulate...Then read the manual and
              > see
              > > > which one works best for you. I can't help but
              > > > think of the parable of the fisherman...
              > > >
              > > > Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day...Teach a
              > > man
              > > > to fish he'll eat for a lifetime...Read your
              > > manuals
              > > > or go to class and you'll be "fishing" for
              > > yourself!
              > > >
              > > > Have fun,
              > > > Josh
              > > > Shy Ram <shyramlr@...> wrote:
              > > > Hi all
              > > > Can any body tell me that in the controller for
              > > > think time which option is better
              > > > replay as recorded,ignore or use random %
              > recorded
              > > > think time
              > > > Iran my scripts using random % recorded think
              > > > ,results were not good mean high transaction
              > time
              > > > and run time also high
              > > > Thanks,
              > > > shy

              > > > removed]

              > email
              > > > to:

              > > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              > > > removed]
              > > >

              > > "Aim for sky at lest you hit the dust"

              > > protection around
              > > http://mail.yahoo.com

              > protection around
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Alexander Podelko
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 5, 2005
                Ramesh,

                What kind of users do you keep in mind recommending to go through scenario as soon as possible? Some kind of operators entering data? In many cases the pace is much slower - people talking by phone, drink cofee, do other work, etc. Sometimes it is better to go from the number of transactions (whatever it means) average user does a day.

                Alex
                www.alexanderpodelko.com

                Shy Ram wrote:
                Hi all
                Can any body tell me that in the controller for think time which option is better
                replay as recorded,ignore or use random % recorded think time
                Iran my scripts using random % recorded think ,results were not good mean high transaction time and run time also high
                Thanks,
                shy

                ---------------------------------

                "The soul is born old, but grows young. That is the comedy of life. The body is born young and grows old. That is life's tragedy.” —Oscar Wilde

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • ramesh viswanathan
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 6, 2005
                  Hi Alex,

                  yeah, i have considered all kind of users rite from anon user, guest user, corporate user, callcenter user.... so lots of research have been done and and based on VOE ( voice of experience ) i suggest these , else i have no rights to give wrong information.

                  if u have time, do have scenario of any kind and apply the mentioned statistics , u will appreciate it if find its near to 99.9999% value or just ignore rite away, iam least bothered about it.

                  if u need more information bettter do a google search for think time iam afraid u will not find a single document which says this is the rite think time. all sites define what think time is and sometimes its upto the product manager who interacts with the client and finds out waht would be the avg think time between clicks, there are scenarios like filling up loan application.... hope u understand this.............

                  apply ur methods and have a happy and a cool tropicana in ur canteen

                  Best Regards
                  Ramesh Viswanathan

                  Shy Ram wrote:
                  Hi all
                  Can any body tell me that in the controller for think time which option is better
                  replay as recorded,ignore or use random % recorded think time
                  Iran my scripts using random % recorded think ,results were not good mean high transaction time and run time also high
                  Thanks,
                  shy

                  ---------------------------------

                  "The soul is born old, but grows young. That is the comedy of life. The body is born young and grows old. That is life's tragedy.” —Oscar Wilde

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  ---------------------------------

                  "The soul is born old, but grows young. That is the comedy of life. The body is born young and grows old. That is life's tragedy.” —Oscar Wilde

                • dean_clennell
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 13, 2005
                    "if you want share your knowledge share if not don't give that kind
                    of suggestion"

                    Here are some dictionary definitions of the word 'share':

                    An equitable portion: do one's share of the work.
                    To participate in, use, enjoy, or experience jointly or in turns.
                    To relate (a secret or experience, for example) to another or others.

                    If a person who asks a question is themself not offering information
                    or help yourself to others then perhaps you should not complain when
                    others do not offer such. The solution here would have been to think
                    about why you received such an answer and then go and find the
                    solution to your problem either by trial and error or by re-exmining
                    the product literature. Once you arrive at a satisfactory answer you
                    should then post the information back here so that other user might
                    benefit and therefore be more willing to share their hard earned (and
                    valuable) experience with you.

                    Truculent answers to others replies will only lead you to be further
                    denigraded by the user community and you will receive even less
                    offers of help in future.

                    Regards,

                    Dean

                    > --- ramesh shyadligeri <rams692@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hey Josh
                    > > I will tell you one thing i red manual n didn't get
                    > > so
                    > > i post a query i thought this group is to share
                    > > knowledge rite?
                    > > do you think by birth only u know load runner no
                    > > buddy
                    > > its learning curve if you want share your knowledge
                    > > share if not don't give that kind of suggestion
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > shyram
                    > >
                    > > --- Joshua Rector <joshua_rector@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > How about which one is appropriate for your
                    > > > scenario. Here's an idea...figure out what you
                    > > are
                    > > > trying to simulate...Then read the manual and see
                    > > > which one works best for you. I can't help but
                    > > > think of the parable of the fisherman...
                    > > >
                    > > > Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day...Teach a
                    > > man
                    > > > to fish he'll eat for a lifetime...Read your
                    > > manuals
                    > > > or go to class and you'll be "fishing" for
                    > > yourself!
                    > > >
                    > > > Have fun,
                    > > > Josh
                    > > > Shy Ram <shyramlr@y...> wrote:
                    > > > Hi all
                    > > > Can any body tell me that in the controller for
                    > > > think time which option is better
                    > > > replay as recorded,ignore or use random % recorded
                    > > > think time
                    > > > Iran my scripts using random % recorded think
                    > > > ,results were not good mean high transaction time
                    > > > and run time also high
                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > > shy
                  • pruscoe
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 13, 2005
                      Hmm, Dean. I think that was a nicer response than this thread
                      deserved.

                      --- In LoadRunner@yahoogroups.com, "dean_clennell"

                    • Joshua Rector
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 13, 2005
                        WOW...Dean that was very well put.

                        I would not have joined this forum if I didn't want to share my knowledge with LoadRunner, but as you so elequently put it I "earned" the knowledge I am sharing and have put some effort into resolving issues on my own.

                        I feel fairly comfortable in saying that most members of this board who answer the posts want to "share" with the person posting the question. I feel just as comfortable saying that those same people want to see some upfront effort on the part of the person posting the question.

                        Moral of the story:
                        Don't walk into a grocery store and ask someone where the flour is without looking for it yourself first.

                        Cheers!

                        Josh

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 13, 2005
                          Agreed. One of the posters spoke of a learning curve...well that would imply that there is a process of trial and error, the byproduct of which is learning or understanding...So how is "getting all the answer for free' part of the learning curve?

                          Those who do not have a pragmatic 'do the math' attitude are doomed to fail in the real world.

                          Joseph
> [...]

                          > > are
                          > > > trying to simulate...Then read the manual and see
                          > > > which one works best for you. I can't help but
                          > > > think of the parable of the fisherman...
                          > > >
                          > > > Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day...Teach a
                          > > man
                          > > > to fish he'll eat for a lifetime...Read your
                          > > manuals
                          > > > or go to class and you'll be "fishing" for
                          > > yourself!
                          > > >
                          > > > Have fun,
                          > > > Josh
                          > > > Shy Ram <shyramlr@y...> wrote:
                          > > > Hi all
                          > > > Can any body tell me that in the controller for
                          > > > think time which option is better
                          > > > replay as recorded,ignore or use random % recorded
                          > > > think time
                          > > > Iran my scripts using random % recorded think
                          > > > ,results were not good mean high transaction time

                          Yahoo! Groups Links