Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
  • Back
  • About Group

  • Join Group
No activity in last 7 days

Group Description

The site is for Historical facts and pictures of Livingston Manor NY.


The entire area was deeded to Dr. Edward Livingston in 1790 and he came to the area and built his reclusive mansion at the corner of the present Main and DuBoise Streets. He wanted to develop the land so he rented most of his land to farmers with the agreement that they would clear the land and build a house.
One of the early settlers was George Purvis< from Scotland (or England) who settled on Jacktown Hill and had many descendants that stayed in the neighboring area. It was called Purvis at the time and was centered at the corner of the DeBruce Road and Rt. 17.


The railroad came through in 1875 and the area was called Livingston Manor in honor of Dr. Livingston.



The picture is Dr. Livingston's house taken at about the time the railroad came through. A large addition was added to the house which became the Manor House Hotel.

In later years the house was torn down and several stores and hotels were built. All the buildings are gone now and the Town Hall and Fire Department are in their place.


Check out the NEW Livingston Manor website at
http://LivingstonManor.Net


Pictures have been moved to:
http://livingstonmanor.net/YahooPix/yahoo_pictures_3.htm





Group Information

  • 194
  • New York
  • Jan 13, 2003
  • English

Group Settings

  • This is a restricted group.
  • Attachments are permitted.
  • Members cannot hide email address.
  • Listed in Yahoo Groups directory.
  • Membership requires approval.
  • Messages are not moderated.
  • All members can post messages.

Message History