Re: LG Spell List including Spell Compendium

  • ken_jenks
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
      --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, "melvin_archie"
      <dcrredrobin@e...> wrote:

      > Ken,
      >
      > Check Stalwart Pact. Is it 250 GP or 250 XP?
      >
      > JIm R.

      GP. The spell no longer has an XP component. Cool, eh?

      Nature's Favor -- Now swift. (So now it will actually get cast during
      an LG adventure. Typically, my druid has had better things to do than
      spend his standard action buffing up his dire bat.)

      -- Ken Jenks
    • Russ Taylor
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
        Nature's favor is now way too good for a 2nd level spell. It would have made
        more sense to make it 1st, but not make it swift. Stalwart pact is junk,
        since it only gives 35 temp hp even at 14th level.

        Russ

        > GP. The spell no longer has an XP component. Cool, eh?
        >
        > Nature's Favor -- Now swift. (So now it will actually get cast during
        > an LG adventure. Typically, my druid has had better things to do than
        > spend his standard action buffing up his dire bat.)
      • Lisa Liscoumb
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
          Yeah, I mentioned the changes (Swift, level drop) to a friend and he pretty
          much said the same thing.

          Lisa Liscoumb

          On 2/1/06, ken_jenks <KenJenks@...> wrote:

          > --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, "melvin_archie"
          > <dcrredrobin@e...> wrote:
          > >

          > Nature's Favor -- Now swift. (So now it will actually get cast during
          > an LG adventure. Typically, my druid has had better things to do than
          > spend his standard action buffing up his dire bat.)
          >
          > -- Ken Jenks
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Penn Davies
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
            The most important spell change I've come across for
            LG is that Delay Death is now a 4th level Immediate
            spell. That makes it a spell where you say "What?
            That killed you? No it didn't."
            I can see anyone who gets a Cleric to 7th level always
            having that one on tap, it's way cheaper than a Raise.
            If my Cleric actually gets that far I'll certainly
            carry it.

            --Penn, Ket Triad
          • ken_jenks
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006

              --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Liscoumb
              <lisa.liscoumb@...> wrote:
              > Yeah, I mentioned the changes (Swift, level drop) to
              > a friend and he pretty much said the same thing.
              >
              > Lisa Liscoumb

              Nature's Favor didn't really change from level 3 to level 2 with the
              Spell Compendium. Complete Adventurer came out after Complete
              Divine, and CV had a new version of Nature's Favor at level 2.

              Here's how the sequence went:

              1) Nature's Favor published in CD, Druid 3, Max +5
              2) CD Errata changed max to +3
              3) CV published, changing Nature's Favor to Druid 2, Max +5 again
              4) SpC published, changing Nature's Favor to Swift, reducing duration

              But any way you slice it, Nature's Favor is now a spell that druids
              will probably want to cast in almost every combat, rather than a
              spell that rarely gets cast unless the druid has nothing better to
              do.

              -- Ken Jenks
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                Yeah... my Theurge will probably start carrying it now for the same
                reason.

                Darnit, this makes me completely revamp all my spell lists... grr.

                Mike

                --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, Penn Davies <seule@...> wrote:

                > The most important spell change I've come across for
                > LG is that Delay Death is now a 4th level Immediate
                > spell. That makes it a spell where you say "What?
                > That killed you? No it didn't."
                > I can see anyone who gets a Cleric to 7th level always
                > having that one on tap, it's way cheaper than a Raise.
                > If my Cleric actually gets that far I'll certainly
                > carry it.
                >
                > --Penn, Ket Triad

              • Dave Wayne
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2006
                  true, it only gives 35 temp hp. but I've already seen it save pcs from a
                  harm + quicken inflict moderate wounds.

                  Any spell that gives you hp when you suddenly find yourself below half is a
                  life-saver.
                  > Nature's favor is now way too good for a 2nd level spell. It would have
                  > made
                  > more sense to make it 1st, but not make it swift. Stalwart pact is junk,
                  > since it only gives 35 temp hp even at 14th level.
                  >
                  > Russ

                • James
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 2, 2006
                    --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wayne <davewayne@...>
                    wrote:

                    > true, it only gives 35 temp hp. but I've already seen it save pcs
                    from a
                    > harm + quicken inflict moderate wounds.
                    >
                    > Any spell that gives you hp when you suddenly find yourself below
                    half is a
                    > life-saver.

                    The big draw back to the spell is LG and the fact that it won't carry
                    over if not triggered.

                    It would be nice if we could track such spells on a MIL-like
                    document. But failing this perhaps if the spell didn't charge you if
                    it doesn't trigger instead?

                    Anyway it's a thought,

                    James
                  • Dennis Stalnaker
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 2, 2006
                      Yah, but it's also a reincarnate now, isn't it? I'd rather pay the 5-
                      10k gold than risk a 20% of permanent character loss...

                      --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, Penn Davies <seule@...> wrote:

                      > The most important spell change I've come across for
                      > LG is that Delay Death is now a 4th level Immediate
                      > spell. That makes it a spell where you say "What?
                      > That killed you? No it didn't."
                      > I can see anyone who gets a Cleric to 7th level always
                      > having that one on tap, it's way cheaper than a Raise.
                      > If my Cleric actually gets that far I'll certainly
                      > carry it.
                      >
                      > --Penn, Ket Triad

                    • Penn Davies
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 2, 2006
                        I believe you are thinking of Last Breath or Revivify
                        or something. Delay Death is the one that says that
                        hitpoint damage doesn't kill the target. Doesn't
                        matter how low their hitpoints are, they don't die
                        from that while the spell is in effect (1
                        round/level).
                        It's now a close range 4th level Cleric spell, and an
                        Immediate action, so you can use it on someone who's
                        just been hit to below -9 hitpoints, so that they
                        don't die. As a bonus, it works really well on anyone
                        with the Diehard feat, as that keeps them conscious
                        while at negative hitpoints (although restricted to a
                        standard action a round).

                        --Penn, Ket Triad

                        --- Dennis Stalnaker <oneoftheunloved@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Yah, but it's also a reincarnate now, isn't it? I'd
                        > rather pay the 5-
                        > 10k gold than risk a 20% of permanent character
                        > loss...
                        >
                        > --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, Penn Davies
                        > <seule@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The most important spell change I've come across
                        > for
                        > > LG is that Delay Death is now a 4th level
                        > Immediate
                        > > spell. That makes it a spell where you say "What?
                        >
                        > > That killed you? No it didn't."
                        > > I can see anyone who gets a Cleric to 7th level
                        > always
                        > > having that one on tap, it's way cheaper than a
                        > Raise.
                        > > If my Cleric actually gets that far I'll
                        > certainly
                        > > carry it.
                        > >
                        > > --Penn, Ket Triad
                        > >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • CHRIS WACHAL
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 2, 2006
                          As a side note to this, the spell, Delay Death is listed as RD in the LGCS 5.0 Draft instead of SC. This seems to be an error.

                          I can't post to the WOTC message boards right now in order to point this out, so someone else may want to.

                          There is also a couple other spells that are still listed as CD when they should be SC.

                          Chris Wachal
                          POC - Ket Triad

                        • Shaudius
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 2, 2006
                            I don't actually think this is an error. The spells that it seems to
                            apply to(Delay Death, Stalwart Pact, and Nature's Favor(possibly
                            others)), have all been significantly raised in power, Delay Death
                            becoming close range and immediate, Stalwart pact changing from an XP
                            to a GP requirement, and Nature's Favor becoming a swift action.

                            At least thats what I think is the reason,

                            Shawn

                            --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, CHRIS WACHAL <cwachal@...> wrote:

                            > As a side note to this, the spell, Delay Death is listed as RD in
                            the LGCS 5.0 Draft instead of SC. This seems to be an error.

                            > I can't post to the WOTC message boards right now in order to point
                            this out, so someone else may want to.

                            > There is also a couple other spells that are still listed as CD when
                            they should be SC.

                            > Chris Wachal
                            > POC - Ket Triad

                          • bokelightbringer
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 2, 2006
                              --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, "Shaudius" <sgoldman@...> wrote:

                              > I don't actually think this is an error. The spells that it seems to
                              > apply to(Delay Death, Stalwart Pact, and Nature's Favor(possibly
                              > others)), have all been significantly raised in power, Delay Death
                              > becoming close range and immediate, Stalwart pact changing from an XP
                              > to a GP requirement, and Nature's Favor becoming a swift action.
                              >
                              > At least thats what I think is the reason,

                              Actually...Stalwart pact was nerfed not powered up. I never looked at
                              the RD version of Delay Death, so I can't say whether it changed or not.

                              It has roughly half the effect it had before, and also in LG, gold is
                              precious, whereas losing xp = more opportunities to play the character
                              and more wealth/level.

                              Delay death is better. Nature favor - I thought it was just an
                              elimination of the L3 version and a reprint of the L2 version, but if
                              it is now swift action I'll have to look again. Are you sure you
                              aren't thinking of a new "Nature's favor, Swift" spell similar
                              to "Bless Weapon, Swift". Neither would be LG legal at this point.
                            • CHRIS WACHAL
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 2, 2006
                                I'd think that, except Delay Death was listed in the change list in the Dispel Confusion. Plus, it would go against the rule that LG always uses the newest source of a spell.

                                Chris Wachal
                                POC - Ket Triad

                              • Bas Vermeulen
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 3, 2006
                                  On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 14:52 -0500, Penn Davies wrote:
                                  > I believe you are thinking of Last Breath or Revivify
                                  > or something. Delay Death is the one that says that
                                  > hitpoint damage doesn't kill the target. Doesn't
                                  > matter how low their hitpoints are, they don't die
                                  > from that while the spell is in effect (1
                                  > round/level).
                                  > It's now a close range 4th level Cleric spell, and an
                                  > Immediate action, so you can use it on someone who's
                                  > just been hit to below -9 hitpoints, so that they
                                  > don't die. As a bonus, it works really well on anyone
                                  > with the Diehard feat, as that keeps them conscious
                                  > while at negative hitpoints (although restricted to a
                                  > standard action a round).

                                  Yup. And if you see it used on an NPC, just tag him for one point of
                                  non-lethal damage and he's out. Remember folks, non-lethal damage takes
                                  care of people under the effect of this spell a treat. :)

                                  --
                                  Bas Vermeulen <bvermeul@...>
                                • cshunt68
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 3, 2006
                                    --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, Bas Vermeulen <bvermeul@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 14:52 -0500, Penn Davies wrote:
                                    > > I believe you are thinking of Last Breath or Revivify
                                    > > or something. Delay Death is the one that says that
                                    > > hitpoint damage doesn't kill the target. Doesn't
                                    > > matter how low their hitpoints are, they don't die
                                    > > from that while the spell is in effect (1
                                    > > round/level).
                                    > > It's now a close range 4th level Cleric spell, and an
                                    > > Immediate action, so you can use it on someone who's
                                    > > just been hit to below -9 hitpoints, so that they
                                    > > don't die. As a bonus, it works really well on anyone
                                    > > with the Diehard feat, as that keeps them conscious
                                    > > while at negative hitpoints (although restricted to a
                                    > > standard action a round).
                                    >
                                    > Yup. And if you see it used on an NPC, just tag him for one point of
                                    > non-lethal damage and he's out. Remember folks, non-lethal damage takes
                                    > care of people under the effect of this spell a treat. :)
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Bas Vermeulen <bvermeul@...>

                                    Actually, you don't need to worry about NPCs with the spell up - Delay
                                    Death merely stops death due to dropping to -10 hp, it doesn't prevent
                                    them from entering the "Dying" state. Unless they have an appropriate
                                    feat, from -1 to -9, they're out already, as per PH p.145.

                                    Regards,
                                    Sean Hunt
                                  • Gary Ledford
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 3, 2006
                                      so what you are saying is that the old version is still official for these spells that have been powered up? I am a little confused.

                                      Shaudius <sgoldman@...> wrote: I don't actually think this is an error. The spells that it seems to
                                      apply to(Delay Death, Stalwart Pact, and Nature's Favor(possibly
                                      others)), have all been significantly raised in power, Delay Death
                                      becoming close range and immediate, Stalwart pact changing from an XP
                                      to a GP requirement, and Nature's Favor becoming a swift action.

                                      At least thats what I think is the reason,

                                      Shawn

                                      --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, CHRIS WACHAL <cwachal@...> wrote:

                                      > As a side note to this, the spell, Delay Death is listed as RD in
                                      the LGCS 5.0 Draft instead of SC. This seems to be an error.

                                      > I can't post to the WOTC message boards right now in order to point
                                      this out, so someone else may want to.

                                      > There is also a couple other spells that are still listed as CD when
                                      they should be SC.

                                      > Chris Wachal
                                      > POC - Ket Triad

                                      Role playing games Online role playing games Role playing games online