Re: taking 10=xp loss?

  • sampohaarlaa
    Message 1 of 69 , Jan 1, 2006
      And because 99% of players would do exactly that, I will never allow
      Diplomacy check to defuse a situation once the battle has started and
      people are bleeding to death on the ground. Sure you can roll it, I
      just give you -100 circumstance penalty (i'll make them seperate -1s
      in case you have something that allows you ignore one circumstance
      penalty). There exists something called realistic behavior and it is
      nice to see it applied to NPCs as well.

      I write diplomacy into my modules so players can avoid combat before
      they actually go in and see they are over their league. And no, you
      will never get their stuff as a result of it.

      S.H, the guy from Naerie

      --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, Timlagor <timlagor@y...>
      wrote:

      > Chaotic certainly but it's hardly evil to attack him if you know
      > he's a child-killing psychopath (for instance).
      >
      > Besides... surely you can count on someone else to attack him
      > for you: then you *have* to assist your comrades ;-)
      >

      > Alternatively you can talk him back to hostile after you buff.
      >
      > --- Jon Naughton <mgm@g...> wrote:
      > ---------------------------------
      > johncdubois wrote:
      > >2. It's generally a good idea to only diplomacize blatantly
      > evil
      > >characters (such as someone who, say, tells you that they're in
      > >Vecna cult after you roll a 35), and even then, when you don't
      > have
      > >paladins around. That way, you can talk them into an isolated
      > room,
      > >get the info you need, then stab them in the back.
      > >

      > Better hope that you don't get them down to "friendly" and then
      > attack them.
      > You might find that the "blatantly evil" characters are not
      > them, but you (and have it noted on your AR) <grin>.
      >
      > For the record, I think it's perfectly acceptable to talk down
      > an encounter and get full XP (we even did it as PCs in a game we
      > did a couple of days ago).
      >
      > But - to expect the gold and access is another thing. Sure, I
      > might be able to talk down a bad guy into leaving us alone (and
      > have done so as a PC), but I don't expect that I'll ever
      > convince him to hand over his stuff. Nor would I expect the GM
      > to allow me to attack the guy I've just talked down to be
      > friendly without imposing some sort of penalty on me.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Jon.

      > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all
      new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com

    • Big B
      Message 69 of 69 , Jan 9, 2006
        Hello all:
        It is not too often that I review all of these postings, but they do
        make me laugh. So many people put their own angles on when and how
        the rules should be implemented, and then they argue why. The main
        book that we utilize as Dungeon Masters is the DM's "Guide". I
        would like to re-emphasize on the word "Guide".
        When we sit down at a table, we are at times dealing with people who
        have not either played with each other, or their characters have not
        played with each other. I believe that when a player pulls
        something out of their arsenal of either equipment or abilities, I
        want to cursory examine it, there is not enough time in play to
        review every blessed rule in all of the main books as well as the
        supplements. If I get someone who comes up with something novel,
        and could work, put it into play and let them roll for it. The game
        is Role playing after all.
        I played with a DM who sent a group of adventurers into a module
        with no fighters, our problem, but he did not have the forethought
        to suggest we bring some adamantite weapons. Two hours we spent
        trying to kill some simple gollems. It did not matter to me, I can
        always roll up another character (mind you, mine was a 7th level)
        but most gamers take their characters to heart. When our group came
        up with novel ways to circumvent the encounter, the DM was steadfast
        until he got agravated and claimed "Divine Intervention".
        What I am trying to say is, if someone is in the middle of battle,
        your group is losing and the mage can cast polymorph and enlarge on
        someone with high charisma, and a good diplomacy, let it ride. It
        makes for better adventurer tales in the future.