Re: [Living_Greyhawk] Re: taking 10=xp loss?

  • Fons Taddic
    Message 1 of 69 , Dec 31, 2005
      There's the problem; it's not a test of the player's faculties, it's a
      test of the character's faculties. I see no reason to dock XP for using
      any and all knowledge at a character's disposal to solve a puzzle,
      as that's exactly what a character in said situation would do.

      Heath

      sampohaarlaa wrote:

      >I really don't see anything wrong with that. After all, a player
      >makes voluntary choice on using dice system instead of his own
      >qualities in solving the puzzle. Core special Secrets of Tsojcanth

    • Big B
      Message 69 of 69 , Jan 9, 2006
        Hello all:
        It is not too often that I review all of these postings, but they do
        make me laugh. So many people put their own angles on when and how
        the rules should be implemented, and then they argue why. The main
        book that we utilize as Dungeon Masters is the DM's "Guide". I
        would like to re-emphasize on the word "Guide".
        When we sit down at a table, we are at times dealing with people who
        have not either played with each other, or their characters have not
        played with each other. I believe that when a player pulls
        something out of their arsenal of either equipment or abilities, I
        want to cursory examine it, there is not enough time in play to
        review every blessed rule in all of the main books as well as the
        supplements. If I get someone who comes up with something novel,
        and could work, put it into play and let them roll for it. The game
        is Role playing after all.
        I played with a DM who sent a group of adventurers into a module
        with no fighters, our problem, but he did not have the forethought
        to suggest we bring some adamantite weapons. Two hours we spent
        trying to kill some simple gollems. It did not matter to me, I can
        always roll up another character (mind you, mine was a 7th level)
        but most gamers take their characters to heart. When our group came
        up with novel ways to circumvent the encounter, the DM was steadfast
        until he got agravated and claimed "Divine Intervention".
        What I am trying to say is, if someone is in the middle of battle,
        your group is losing and the mage can cast polymorph and enlarge on
        someone with high charisma, and a good diplomacy, let it ride. It
        makes for better adventurer tales in the future.