Re: [Living_Greyhawk] To Mod writers: The Diplomatic Solution

  • David W. Baker
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
      On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, "Josh Kaufman" wrote:
      > > I write modules where diplomacy can really help you but generally I
      > > rather let players to actually roleplay these situation, imposing
      > > hefty circumstance penalties (in module) if the first reaction from
      > > players is to say 'I roll, he should like me now, right?'
      >
      >I think this is a bit extreme. Different players approach modules
      >differently. Sometimes players are hefty role-players. Sometimes
      >players just like to roll dice. Ultimately as a GM/writer, you
      >should try to accomodate both types of players, and not punish or
      >reward one or the other too signficantly.

      I'm trying to think of the number of mods that reward and don't
      punish players who don't like to roll dice and just like to
      role-play. Small list, but maybe I need another cup of coffee on this
      Monday morning.

      David
      --
      David W. Baker : dwb@... : <http://www.netspace.org/~dwb/>
    • Gary Johnson
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
        On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, bokelightbringer wrote:

        > Also, related to #2, if the Player doesn't say the gist of his
        > approach the DM can't even know what skill to use!
        >
        > "I use diplomacy to make the orcs go away."
        >
        > doesn't tell me enough to adjudicate it.

        If a player wanted to make a "bare" diplomacy check, I'd be willing to
        reverse-engineer the lead-up dialogue with the player once we know the
        result. That said, the outcome for me is always the target's attitude
        towards you, not the target's actions.

        "Alright, you got a total of 38 on your hasty diplomacy check. That's
        enough to change their attitude from hostile to friendly. So, what does
        your character say in game that justifies that change? I know you want to
        persuade them to go away, but let's see *why* they like you first. Once
        that's sorted out, you can talk with them in character and try to get them
        to change their plans."

        Cheers,

        Gary Johnson
        --