Re: [Living_Greyhawk] Re: To Mod writers: The Diplomatic Solution

  • Timlagor
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
      I think you've forgotten some of the major points.

      1. There will be circumstance modifiers that apply
      *irrespective* of what the diplomat says. (you killed my friend!
      I've bene brought up to hate your race. I'm being paid goodmoney
      for this. I will get killed if I don't stop you. et cetera)

      2. Often diplomacy won't be able to achieve any concrete effect
      anyway.

      2.a) If you don't make the right argument then your diplomacy
      attempt won't work -this is NOT the purview of the Diplomacy
      skill. Mostly it requires specific knowledge

      I hadn't thought of this before but it seems to me that if the
      player doesn't specify an approach a very difficult
      knowledge(local) or variable Sense Motive check woudl be a good
      way to deal with the situation.

      *Usually* the players will have a good idea of what they should
      say.

      Roll up! Roll up! Join the Campaign for the proper spelling of D
      E I T Y here!

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
        On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, bokelightbringer wrote:

        > Also, related to #2, if the Player doesn't say the gist of his
        > approach the DM can't even know what skill to use!
        >
        > "I use diplomacy to make the orcs go away."
        >
        > doesn't tell me enough to adjudicate it.

        If a player wanted to make a "bare" diplomacy check, I'd be willing to
        reverse-engineer the lead-up dialogue with the player once we know the
        result. That said, the outcome for me is always the target's attitude
        towards you, not the target's actions.

        "Alright, you got a total of 38 on your hasty diplomacy check. That's
        enough to change their attitude from hostile to friendly. So, what does
        your character say in game that justifies that change? I know you want to
        persuade them to go away, but let's see *why* they like you first. Once
        that's sorted out, you can talk with them in character and try to get them
        to change their plans."

        Cheers,

        Gary Johnson
        --