Re: To Mod writers: The Diplomatic Solution

  • Pierre van Rooden
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
      > Now to my question... as mod writers do you have problems with
      > players using alternate means to accomplish the goals of the mod?

      No. I generally take them into account in my own scenarios where I
      think it matters, and as a DM I will allow it the situation is
      appropriate. Note that I do ask a player what motivation he uses -
      this is because, even if you have a Diplomacy score up in the 20s, you
      still have to know what message you want to relate. I.o.w. you need to
      show you have enough in game knowledge to get the effect. Also notices
      that some messages are thraets (and thus fall under Intimidation) and
      some are tricks (and thus fall under Bluff).
      Plus, not all situations are suitable - in some cases a Diplomacy
      check will only succeed if you are willing to join the bad guy killing
      your team mates, for instance.
      But I include the effects where I think it matters.

      Gomez
    • Gary Johnson
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
        On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, bokelightbringer wrote:

        > Also, related to #2, if the Player doesn't say the gist of his
        > approach the DM can't even know what skill to use!
        >
        > "I use diplomacy to make the orcs go away."
        >
        > doesn't tell me enough to adjudicate it.

        If a player wanted to make a "bare" diplomacy check, I'd be willing to
        reverse-engineer the lead-up dialogue with the player once we know the
        result. That said, the outcome for me is always the target's attitude
        towards you, not the target's actions.

        "Alright, you got a total of 38 on your hasty diplomacy check. That's
        enough to change their attitude from hostile to friendly. So, what does
        your character say in game that justifies that change? I know you want to
        persuade them to go away, but let's see *why* they like you first. Once
        that's sorted out, you can talk with them in character and try to get them
        to change their plans."

        Cheers,

        Gary Johnson
        --