Re: To Mod writers: The Diplomatic Solution

  • waerlinga
    Message 1 of 46 , Jul 31, 2005
      --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, Squirrel <musnsqrl@e...> wrote:
      > We should be able to offer an indeterminate future favor or
      influence -
      > of some yet to be determined nature of our design (not based on the
      > needs or demands of the NPC-recipient) - After all, this IS the
      > established 'coin of the realm', as laid out for us by the campaign
      > designers ;> *wink wink nudge nudge*

      "Favor of Deft Lee: This favor entitles the NPC to a night of halfling
      cooking, backrubs, and foot massage. Can only be redeemed if Deft Lee
      is adventuring in your region. Frequency: Regional"

      Hmm, that would give a +5 to spousal Diplomacy checks in the real
      world, but I guess it might lose something in translation to the world
      of LG. :)

      Larry
      Deft Lee, of the Highfolk Lee family
      Who likes the idea, but has enough paperwork to deal with already :)
    • Gary Johnson
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
        On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, bokelightbringer wrote:

        > Also, related to #2, if the Player doesn't say the gist of his
        > approach the DM can't even know what skill to use!
        >
        > "I use diplomacy to make the orcs go away."
        >
        > doesn't tell me enough to adjudicate it.

        If a player wanted to make a "bare" diplomacy check, I'd be willing to
        reverse-engineer the lead-up dialogue with the player once we know the
        result. That said, the outcome for me is always the target's attitude
        towards you, not the target's actions.

        "Alright, you got a total of 38 on your hasty diplomacy check. That's
        enough to change their attitude from hostile to friendly. So, what does
        your character say in game that justifies that change? I know you want to
        persuade them to go away, but let's see *why* they like you first. Once
        that's sorted out, you can talk with them in character and try to get them
        to change their plans."

        Cheers,

        Gary Johnson
        --