Re: [Living_Greyhawk] Re: Monodrone Cohort

  • Scott Withington
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28, 2005
      If that was the author's intention, he defeated himself by using the
      term "Cohort" To avoid arguments, in LG, then you must assume that a
      keyword must allways be used appropriately. The term Cohort in 3.0/3.5
      D&D means the special follower/ Boon companion granted by the leadership
      feat.. If the intent was for it to not count as a cohort the term used
      should have been "follower" The cert states Cohort, so unless an errata
      has been issued by the circle, The modron is your cohort. You could
      decide to in effect demote it to "a non adventuring follower" and use it
      in the opening (and closing) role playing encounters only.

      -Scott-

      Paul Duggan wrote:

      >--- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Pelkey"
      ><twisted_logik@y...> wrote:
      >

      >>From the Year 3 Module Hunt for the Rogue, I have access to a
      >>Monodrone cohort. Now, I understand Monodrones are stupid, but I
      >>want to check if they can gain class levels.
      >>
      >>Say I take the little guy with me, does he get class levels on top of
      >>what he already has for his stats, like the Dakon cohort? Or am I
      >>stuck with his terrible and limited usefulness.
      >>

      >I have heard that actually, you can take the monodrone without having
      >the leadership feat, as the term "cohort" there is merely flavor text,
      >and the leadership feat is not specified as a requirement.
      >
      >This is apparently the intention of the author, and explains why its
      >such a lousy cohort.
      >
      >Paul
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      >.

    • John Twernbold
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- "Paul Duggan" wrote:
        > I have heard that actually, you can take the monodrone
        > without having the leadership feat [...]
        > This is apparently the intention of the author

        While it may have been the intent of the author, the Circle has ruled
        that the monodrone is a true cohort, and you must have the Leadership
        feat to take him/her/it. Check this group's archives for more info.

        --
        John Twernbold
        jtwernbold (at) yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2005
          --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Duggan" <p.duggan@v...>
          wrote:
          > I have heard that actually, you can take the monodrone without
          > having the leadership feat, as the term "cohort" there is merely
          > flavor text, and the leadership feat is not specified as a
          > requirement.

          It is my understanding that this was the author's intent, but it was
          changed to a cohort in editing to comply with standard rules.

          James B.
        • David Hsu
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2005
            On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:00:32 -0500, Scott Withington
            <swithington@...> wrote:
            > If that was the author's intention, he defeated himself by using the
            > term "Cohort" To avoid arguments, in LG, then you must assume that a
            > keyword must allways be used appropriately. The term Cohort in 3.0/3.5
            > D&D means the special follower/ Boon companion granted by the leadership
            > feat.. If the intent was for it to not count as a cohort the term used
            > should have been "follower" The cert states Cohort, so unless an errata
            > has been issued by the circle, The modron is your cohort. You could
            > decide to in effect demote it to "a non adventuring follower" and use it
            > in the opening (and closing) role playing encounters only.

            Let's not be so quick to point fingers. As I understand it, the cert
            and module were clear about how it was supposed to be adjudicated, but
            the Circle did not want a player to have what is effectively a cohort
            without having taken the Leadership feat, since this violated the
            rules structure of LG. As a result, the cert you have in front of you
            is post editing.

            Now, the story I hear may not be exactly correct either, but I'm not
            immediately going to give the author flak by making assumptions.

            --
            David Hsu

            Trailblazer Miklos Uskhin, Rog 3/Ftr 2/Wkn 3, Pathfinders
            Vaelin Arrowind, ??? (Undecided)
          • Stephen Mumford
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2005
              > If that was the author's intention, he defeated himself by using the
              > term "Cohort."

              IIRC, according to the author, he _didn't_ use the term 'cohort' (and
              if I'm not mistaken the module doesn't ever refer to him as such
              anywhere but on the AR). The editor/Circle guy/whoever that had their
              final say made that change when all was said and done; presumably
              because at the time, they couldn't figure out how to allow a 'follower'
              to come along on adventures with a PC without turning it into a proper
              cohort.

              At any rate, there are other problems with that AR, including mistakes
              that make the monodrone even MORE useless in actual application (such
              as inexplicably added erroneous text that says that one of it's
              'outsider traits' is that he is destroyed at 0 hp, which doesn't exist
              anywhere _but_ on the AR -- heck, in the mod, when you find him, he is
              already at 0 hp and staggered, and healing him is how you actually get
              to complete the adventure!

              Regardless, and despite several requests for one, there has been no
              errata made for that AR, and looks like there never will be at this
              point in time. Hence, what would have been a terribly cool little
              henchmonodrone looks as if it shall remain an unfulfilled, anemic waste
              of a feat. ;-( Still, it was a cool idea on the part of the author,; I
              just wish the implementation would have worked out better.

              That said, I have of a couple of Triads that allow a player to take him
              without the Leadership feat so long as all you plan on doing is just
              using him purely for role-playing flavor online and such; i.e., no game
              benefit, just a cool little guy that follows your PC around (which I
              think is what the author originally intended anyway ;-D).

              Steve M
            • paradox20902
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2005
                I believe moodrone are consider outsiders and constructs. If it has
                the construct type .. construct are considered destroyed at zero hp.

                David O

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2005
                  > I believe moodrone are consider outsiders and constructs. If it has
                  > the construct type .. construct are considered destroyed at zero hp.

                  According to the module, module text, appendices and the AR, they were
                  outsiders, not constructs. The outsider traits did not show in any of
                  the numerous monodrone stats in the module's appendices or module text.
                  The only place where it shows up as 'destroyed at 0 hp' is on the
                  given AR stat block. And, as mentioned previously, the way you
                  actually meet this guy in the first place is with him staggered at 0
                  hp. If monodrones were destroyed at 0 hp as the AR stat block
                  suggests, then you would have come across a destroyed monodrone in the
                  module, not a staggered one. :-)

                  Given that there is no other mention of such a trait in the module or
                  the appendices, it's mistakenly listed as an 'outsider trait' on the
                  AR, and the module hinges around finding one of these things at 0 hp to
                  begin with, I can only conclude that the AR is a typo. Yet,
                  unfortunately, a typo we all have to abide by.

                  I suppose the editor may have intended for the 'henchmonodrone' to be
                  intrinsically weakened somehow by his ordeals, and given that extra
                  limitation intentionally, but I have serious doubts. I suspect it's
                  far more likely that it was just a typo, and one that unfortunately
                  remains.

                  Steve M
                • keenspotter
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2005
                    --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Mumford
                    <stevemumford@c...> wrote:
                    > That said, I have of a couple of Triads that allow a player to take
                    > him without the Leadership feat so long as all you plan on doing is
                    > just using him purely for role-playing flavor online and such;
                    > i.e., no game benefit, just a cool little guy that follows your PC
                    > around (which I think is what the author originally intended
                    > anyway ;-D).

                    If that's what you're going to do, just make him a follower and get
                    the DM's permission to have him walk around with you in-game.

                    --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, "paradox20902"
                    <doconnor48@c...> wrote:
                    > I believe moodrone are consider outsiders and constructs. If it
                    > has the construct type .. construct are considered destroyed at
                    > zero hp.

                    Modrons were never constructs. They just looked like them.

                    James B.