Re: LG Challenge/Fun Ratio

  • DeMadProf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 60 , Apr 1, 2004
      In a message dated 4/1/2004 9:11:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com writes:
      Dwarf Ftr 1 Two Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Defence
      1d10+4, 1d8+2, w/out crit max/rd is 24, w crit max/rd is 72.

      Of course, that's assuming he hits at +1/+1...if you drop that battleaxe in
      the off hand to a hand axe, only drops max non-crit/crit damage to 22/66 and
      increases hit probability to +3/+3...or make the offhand axe a throwing one;
      doesn't drop the non-crit max and drops crit max to 58, but now if you can't
      quite reach the target, you have something to lob at them. (thinking of going this
      route with my dwarven fighter/ranger).

      LLC

    • Chris Wachal
      Message 60 of 60 , Apr 6, 2004
        Umm, where does it say the highest bonus you can give is +2? I'd like to know if that's the rule anywhere. The DMG says that the DM's best friend is the +2 for EACH positive situation and -2 for EACH negative. I don't know of a RPGA rule that overrides that. Technically, I was wrong, the minus would have to be 4 or 6, because nowhere does it say that you can give negatives of less than 2. It is easy for most DMs to rationalize a minus to a skill of any number they want, however, and might apply it without even letting you know you had a penalty. A lot of DMs might do this even if there was a rule against it (I have learned NOT to assume any DM I'm playing with actually follows the letter of the rules).

        As for the player, well, there is a certain amount of leeway for style in these situations. Some DMs like to know every small detail about what the players are doing, I prefer to gloss over the "I play an instrument in the inn" scene to get to the ones having to do with the plot. So, I won't ask questions like "what song are you playing?" or "What are you ordering?" unless I want to throw the players off (nothing confuses players more than when you say "so, 4 days go by, and nothing happens, what do you eat for supper on the 5th day?") Some DMs tell the player to make an int check without them asking to remember things he thinks their character might know, other DMs insist that if the player doesn't ask for the int roll, they don't get one. I normally opt for the former as I find that it keeps adventures from bogging down in the "there's a plainly obvious clue that the players can't seem to figure out" syndrome.

        As for the rest, I agree.

        Chris Wachal