Re: LG Challenge/Fun Ratio

  • arcanus1@mailcity.com
    Message 1 of 60 , Apr 1 1:18 AM
      Half-orc barbarian 2/Fighter4

      Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Weapon Focus: Greataxe,
      Weapon Specialization Great Axe.

      20 Str, with +4 stat item for str 24 (and yes, I know some 6th level
      chars with a +4 stat item, not much else, but they saved up and got
      that one dream item.)

      We have someone with this exact setup, he power attacks for 6 and
      does the following damage.

      1D12+10 (Str)+12 (Power attack)+2 (Weapon Specialization) or 1D12+24
      With two attacks a round he can easily make 50+ damage in that
      timeframe. He doesn't even have a magic weapon yet. Even taking
      the -6 from his bab into account he is swinging at a +9/+3.

      And that is without raging, if he rages his str goes to 28 and the
      damage goes up as follows 1D12+27 and his AB goes to +11/+5.
      Then we can add in Greater Magic Weapon, Rage, Greater Heroism,
      Haste, Enlarge, for the following level of sickness.

      3D6+33 with an AB of +19/+19/+13
      ;) Just think of a crit from this guy, 9D6+99.

      I hope this has been an enlightnening dissertation of useless facts.
      Tomorrow, how to make a bard useful ;).

      James Baker
      aka Havoc

      -- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, "Kerry Mullan"
      <nomadwyn1@y...> wrote:

      > > I don't know if this is what he meant, but it could be:
      > > 8th level half-orc barbarian with 22 Str and Power Attack,
      > > Two-Weapon Fighting with Improved Unarmed Strike: 3 attacks
      > > for 1d3 + 6 (Str) + 8 (PA) for a max of 3 x (3+6+8) = 51.
      > >
      > > APL was 6, but the barbarian could easily have been 2 levels
      > > higher than the average.
      > >
      > > Tom Bollis

    • Chris Wachal
      Message 60 of 60 , Apr 6 9:51 PM
        Umm, where does it say the highest bonus you can give is +2? I'd like to know if that's the rule anywhere. The DMG says that the DM's best friend is the +2 for EACH positive situation and -2 for EACH negative. I don't know of a RPGA rule that overrides that. Technically, I was wrong, the minus would have to be 4 or 6, because nowhere does it say that you can give negatives of less than 2. It is easy for most DMs to rationalize a minus to a skill of any number they want, however, and might apply it without even letting you know you had a penalty. A lot of DMs might do this even if there was a rule against it (I have learned NOT to assume any DM I'm playing with actually follows the letter of the rules).

        As for the player, well, there is a certain amount of leeway for style in these situations. Some DMs like to know every small detail about what the players are doing, I prefer to gloss over the "I play an instrument in the inn" scene to get to the ones having to do with the plot. So, I won't ask questions like "what song are you playing?" or "What are you ordering?" unless I want to throw the players off (nothing confuses players more than when you say "so, 4 days go by, and nothing happens, what do you eat for supper on the 5th day?") Some DMs tell the player to make an int check without them asking to remember things he thinks their character might know, other DMs insist that if the player doesn't ask for the int roll, they don't get one. I normally opt for the former as I find that it keeps adventures from bogging down in the "there's a plainly obvious clue that the players can't seem to figure out" syndrome.

        As for the rest, I agree.

        Chris Wachal