Re: Sharing the cost of death?

  • aurdraco
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2003
      --- In Living_Greyhawk@yahoogroups.com, "naughtyj@n..."
      <naughtyj@n...> wrote:
      > Just curious as to how many people would chip in for a raise dead
      at 5000
      > gold a piece.

      Mayhaps the moderator will let you make a poll. If not, the LG3.5
      group moderator probably would...

      > Assuming one person in the group died, would you be prepared to
      happy to
      > take it out of the pre-split party treasure (even if it meant you
      took
      > no gold out of the module)?

      Depends.

      > If you did - would you still do it if you were at a convention
      where you
      > didn't know anyone else at the table?

      Depends.

      > Assuming more than one party member died (or the reward in the game
      were
      > not enough), would you be prepared to dig into your own coin to pay
      for
      > a raise dead?

      Depends.

      > Now, I'm not asking if you think 5000 GP is too high. Just asking
      if you
      > would help share the cost of raising a fellow party member if they
      die.

      Depends. I think the biggest factors in determining the answers to
      those questions at the time of the death are a) did the PC die doing
      something so boneheaded that they deserved the death?, b) did they
      die doing something so heroic that they were surely doomed, yet saved
      the rest of the party?, c) was it just a fairly random death, and d)
      was the death my fault?

      I think it's important that these 4 questions be asked both OOC and
      in-character. I am far nicer than Breeanna, she being True Neutral
      and from the BK. I would probably help pay for raises b, c, and d
      (definately). She would not pay for c, unless she liked the PC. Since
      D&D is a role-playing game, I think that should have some impact on
      what decision I make for her. I would expect the same from other
      player's should Breeanna get whacked.

      Casey Brown
      aka Breeanna Windstrider,
      Templar of Kelanen (Church-of-Swords@yahoogroups.com)
      Fanlareshen Elf (Clan_Fanlareshen@yahoogroups.com)
      Wanted by the Forces of the Old One for Unlawful Magical Practices
    • Walker, William S. IS1
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2003
        Umm, that is illegal as per the LGCS. You might want to give them a heads
        up....

        Bill W.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 31, 2003
          > I most certainly would, about the only thing that would prevent me from
          > doing so is if they were a follower of a god opposed by mine, and I would
          > cast the spell as well so we would just need the component.

          Same here.

          Greetz,
          Maya Deva
        • Ed Gibson
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
            --- ctiodin <styrothespike@...> wrote:

            > Going back to this issue of in-character actions in
            > general, has
            > there ever been a situation where a PC chose to run
            > instead of help
            > his allies (who are all nearly dead) fight just
            > because he's acting
            > in-character and is one who looks out for himself
            > and only himself?

            Yes. He ran off while we were in the middle of
            combat. We eventually managed to defeat our
            opponents, although one PC bled out while the fight
            was going on. Of course, most of his PCs (regardless
            of system) are like that. He is the only person that
            I've ever refused to play with at a table.

            Ed
          • naughtyj@netspeed.com.au
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
              Quoting Ed Gibson <hermedhie@...>:

              > Yes. He ran off while we were in the middle of
              > combat. We eventually managed to defeat our
              > opponents, although one PC bled out while the fight
              > was going on. Of course, most of his PCs (regardless
              > of system) are like that. He is the only person that
              > I've ever refused to play with at a table.

              It's one of the big problems with the living campaign system.
              At a con, someone doesn't care that they've screwed you. So,
              you in turn are more likely to stiff the next person along.

              It won't happen in home games because you need to get along
              with your fellow players, but at a con - where you may never
              see your companions again - there is no need (apart from your
              own personal sense of morality) to play nice.

              We've all seen it happen in other campaigns, why won't it
              happen in LG?

              Cheers,
              Jon.