[livingworld] Re: Character Creation Guidelines

  • Jason S Wu
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 18, 1999

      #2 sounds a bit like the Skills and Powers system... Might be a good idea to
      go through those books for ideas. Many of the new rules presented there would
      be great for an ongoing campaign.

      (But then again, some are not.)

      -jason
      Jason S Wu RPGA #155021 ursus@... ICQ#8104262

      http://www.cloud9.net/~ursus/lazarus

      All-Round Odd Person. Please do not Disturb, Jason already Is.

      "... it's like those little packets of crystals inside shoe
      boxes with 'DO NOT EAT' written on them - you have to wonder
      what lead to them writing that on those little packets ... I
      guess some guy called the poisons information hotline and he
      said 'well I found this packet of crystals in my shoebox, so
      naturally I ate them.'..."
      -Overheard on the Discworld MUD

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/livingworld
    • oghmyte@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 18, 1999
        Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/livingworld/?start=31

      • Iquander@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 18, 1999
          In a message dated 3/18/99 2:40:11 PM Central Standard Time, epeterson@...
          writes:

          << Have the character creation guidlines already been established? Will they
          be like LCs? >>

          We haven't gotten to character creation rules yet. Personally, I'm in favor of
          some sort of system that allows for a lot of customization (i.e. as many "kits
          and things as possible") while allowing for somewhat less superheroic
          characters than found regularly in Living City.

          One way to do this is to assign "character creation points," as opposed to
          "attribute points." The points could be spent not only on attributes, but on
          kits, specialty priesthoods, etc. More powerful kits could be weighted with a
          higher cost, so we could keep all but the most powerful options available to
          the players, but at a cost.

          I'm sure this is one of the things that we'll be debating/discussing for a
          loooong time here on the list. :)

          --Erik

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/livingworld
        • PwrGamer@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 19, 1999
            In a message dated 3/19/99 1:04:09 AM Eastern Standard Time, Cfresquet@...
            writes:

            <<
            I've started working on some ideas for these, and while they will bear some
            similarities to LC (it will be a point system, w/o and dice rolling or
            randomness),
            Two big changes being considered are:

            1) have a graduated point system, so that the increase in cost for an 18 stat
            over a 17 is greater than the cost difference between a 10 and an 11 stat.

            2) Having point costs for races, kits, etc included in the initial point
            allocation.

            - cisco >>
            Cisco,
            How about the old LC concept of adding points as you gain levels. Start
            with a set amount (like just enough to qualify for Ranger, the toughest stats
            to qualify for) and gain so many a level. I loved that. I also like the
            concept for #2 above.

            Eric

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/livingworld
          • Daniel Llewellyn
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 19, 1999
              PwrGamer@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 3/19/99 1:04:09 AM Eastern Standard Time, Cfresquet@...
              > writes:
              >
              > <<
              > I've started working on some ideas for these, and while they will bear some
              > similarities to LC (it will be a point system, w/o and dice rolling or
              > randomness),
              > Two big changes being considered are:
              >
              > 1) have a graduated point system, so that the increase in cost for an 18 stat
              > over a 17 is greater than the cost difference between a 10 and an 11 stat.
              >
              > 2) Having point costs for races, kits, etc included in the initial point
              > allocation.
              >
              > - cisco >>
              > Cisco,
              > How about the old LC concept of adding points as you gain levels. Start
              > with a set amount (like just enough to qualify for Ranger, the toughest stats
              > to qualify for) and gain so many a level. I loved that. I also like the
              > concept for #2 above.
              >
              > Eric

              I'm really opposed to the gain attribute points per level idea. Although I
              like the way that works in other games it is not standard AD&D. If we take one of
              the first and fundamental parts of the campaign (Character Creation) and start
              adding house rules then I feel we set a dangerous precedent for making the
              campaign a non standard AD&D game.

              --
              Daniel Llewellyn

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 19, 1999
                In a message dated 3/19/99 8:19:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, daniel@...
                writes:

                > I'm really opposed to the gain attribute points per level idea. Although I
                > like the way that works in other games it is not standard AD&D. If we take
                > one of
                > the first and fundamental parts of the campaign (Character Creation) and
                > start
                > adding house rules then I feel we set a dangerous precedent for making the
                > campaign a non standard AD&D game.
                >
                > --
                > Daniel Llewellyn
                Solid point Daniel. Even though I like the character growing up and gaining
                stats as he does, you make much sense. Thanks for the enlightning.

                Eric

                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/livingworld