Re: [Living_Greyhawk] A few Questions....

  • Josh Kaufman
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 1, 2002
      True. But you CAN take 20, if you have other people within your ambush
      group, trying to look for you. "Hey Bob, can you see me? Yes?
      Okay, let me try hiding another way. Turn around and look again in 6
      seconds." Arguably, the limits of your Hide check might be restricted
      by the other person's "Spot Check". Ie: If I have a Spot of 25,
      after taking 20 for that. The best you could do for a Hide, while
      taking 20 is 26.

      All of the above assumes that you have ample time to set-up the
      ambush. Also it could stand to reason that the last person in your
      ambush group might just have to roll for his Hide. Then again, if you
      are the person in the group who is pretending to be a farmer on the
      road, who has an overturned vehicle, then you don't need to hide in the
      first place.

      And its true that you shouldn't be able to aid someone's hide check.

      Russ Taylor wrote:

      > I have always been of the opinion that you can't "Take 20" on Hide
      > for
      > the simple reason that you don't know the quality of your result. It
      > is a
      > roll you make against someone's attempt to spot you, not one that can
      > be
      > retried except on a different series of Spot vs. Hide opposed check
      > ("Your Hide check is opposed by the Spot check of anyone who might see
      >
      > you", PH. p. 69). You don't "store" a Hide result for later.
      >
      > Also, retries are not generally allowed on skills that are useless
      > when
      > they have failed. Hide is useless when it has failed an opposed Spot
      > roll.
      >
      > Also, hidden characters receive a -2 penalty to Spot checks (DMG, p.
      > 60)
      >
      > And it's ridiculous to allow aiding on a hide check, multiple people
      > are
      > harder to hide, not easier.
      >
      > On 1/1/02 4:06 AM, thenodrin@... (thenodrin@...) wrote
      >
      > >Well, don't forget that a character who is setting up an ambush can
      > take 20
      > >on their Hide check. There is no penalty for failure. Also, a group
      > can
      > >aid
      > >one another. So, a group of six people, together searching for an
      > >appropriate hiding place, can get +30 to the highest Hide skill in
      > the group.
      > >
      > >But, on the other hand, any group which has "automatic surprise"
      > which is
      > >the
      > >situation you are describing, has a +1 to their APL (if PC) or EL (if
      > NPC /
      > >monster) when determining combat, according to the DMG
      >

      > --
      > Russ Taylor (http://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor/)
      >
      > "Gravity is a harsh mistress." -- The Tick
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > If you have questions about 3E rules in Living Greyhawk please review
      > the LG FAQ at http://living-greyhawk.com/knowledge before posting
      > questions to the list.

      Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
      Only $9.95 per month!
    • bobandjug
      Message 33 of 33 , Jan 24, 2002
        I think that you can "fail" a hide check, the dc is set by the spot
        check of the arriving ambushee.
        I would allow Help to hide, I've seen someone help hide a real
        ambush, tuck your foot in, lower your sword etc.

        I wold also add cover / concealment (table 8-9 8-10) to the hide roll
        ( a ambusher in Dense Foliage (3/4) would get a +7 to hide). Not in
        the rules but really sensible

        --- In Living_Greyhawk@y..., Josh Kaufman <hobbes27@n...> wrote:
> [...]
        > > can
        > > >aid
        > > >one another. So, a group of six people, together searching for
        an
        > > >appropriate hiding place, can get +30 to the highest Hide skill
        in
        > > the group.
        > > >
        > > >But, on the other hand, any group which has "automatic surprise"
        > > which is
        > > >the
        > > >situation you are describing, has a +1 to their APL (if PC) or
        EL (if
        > > NPC /
        > > >monster) when determining combat, according to the DMG
        > >

        > > --
        > > Russ Taylor (http://www.cmc.net/~rtaylor/)
        > >
        > > "Gravity is a harsh mistress." -- The Tick
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        >

        > > If you have questions about 3E rules in Living Greyhawk please

        Service.