[livingworld] Re: Point Systems

  • road_warden@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 93 , Jul 2, 1999
      <7kubel$tlo-@egroups.com> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/livingworld/?start=1838

      I'm not sure if this one got through, so I'm reposting it.

      Robert

      > I come a little late into the discussion, so I don't know if this has been suggested before.
      >
      > It seems that a point system for character creation is the fairest way to assure all players have the same access to characters. If the point system is used only for stats, then we will have PCs with stats like LC: dumb, foolish, and hideous supertough fighters; dumb paladins; ugly swashbuckler fighters, etc.
      >
      > Since a point system is not core rules anyway, and since campaing creation is still going on, we can expand the point system to allow more flexibility. Not everyone likes playing a stupid or clumsy paladin.
      >
      > Expand what the points do. By this, I mean, let points be used to buy things like hit points, proficiencies, skills, gold, xp, etc. They would only be used at character creation. A system could be set up that would allow a paladin to be dextrous and intelligent, but have drawbacks other than in stats. The drawback could even be in comparison to other players. Someone could make up a very wealthy Fighter, who is then able to buy Full Plate at character creation. If the wealth and magic of the campaign is kept in check, this will be a very worthwhile advantage.
      >
      > Naturally, a balance would have to be struck. But, then, that's why we have these discussions.
      >
      > What do you think of this line of thought?

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/livingworld
    • Creese, Timothy
      Message 93 of 93 , Jul 2, 1999
        Robert,

        The original post did get through; I remember it. I think the lack of
        response is due in large to the holiday. Too many folks are gone for the
        weekend, and they'll probably pick back up on Tuesday.

        I like this idea, as it parallels the Player's Option for allowing character
        creation using points to build a more unique character. I would like to
        take this further, but we've been asked to delay character creation posts
        until 3rd Edition rules can become known (without divulging info too early).

        -Timothy