Re: [LivingFR] Tracking Death Penalty

  • B. Boom
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 12:21 AM
      Chris Guenther wrote:

      > On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:35 PM, <LFRWDhoffman@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I would say tracking the death penalty is up to the player. Just make a
      >> note in your adventure log, and adjust for the next 3 milestones. Unless
      >> LFR comes out with an update that address that issue.
      >>

      > Do you complete a milestone with every successful adventure? Do some
      > adventures have multiple milestones? Or more generally, are milestones
      > explicitly mentioned when you pass one?

      Since you get a new action point each time you pass a milestone, they have to be
      explicitly mentioned by the DM.

      Another question: How does this work if you only have single combat encounters
      each day for a while? That way, you could have 10 encounters without hitting a
      single milestone. I would assume the intent is to have the penalties face after
      6 'half-milestone' difficulty encounters, but that's not the way it is written.

      .Bobo
    • TomBollis
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 3:55 AM
        B. Boom wrote:
        Another question: How does this work if you only have single combat encounters
        each day for a while? That way, you could have 10 encounters without hitting a
        single milestone. I would assume the intent is to have the penalties face after
        6 'half-milestone' difficulty encounters, but that's not the way it is written.

        .Bobo
        Since RPGA experience is that it is hard to track
        on-going effects over multiple adventures, LFR
        should either add explicit tracking of death
        penalty recovery, or assume a simplified system,
        such as the penalty applying to the remainder of
        the current adventure and all of the PC's next
        adventure only (an until end of your next adventure
        effect). The rules aren't written to take into
        account 4 encounter adventures; even treasure
        distribution is in terms of per level or per
        encounter, and LFR has had to modify them to deal
        with the treasure per adventure meta mechanic. Just
        modify death recovery tracking similarly.

        Tom Bollis

      • Bill Baldwin
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 6:50 AM
          A single combat encounter followed by an extended rest will not be common in LFR unless the party chooses it to be. Most adventures are likely to take place within a 24 hour period simply because of the nature of 4E which is geared towards multiple lesser encounters over a short period of time rather than a few large encounters spread out over days. Each LFR adventure should offer the opportunity to reach 1-2 milestones, though in some cases the party may choose to forego those to take an extended rest. The death penalty is one reason to not make that choice at every opportunity.

          As far as simplifing the tracking, I doubt it will happen. LFR is dedicated to following the 4E rules except where it is necessary to deviate due to the nature of a living campaign. Simplying the tracking may make things a slightly easier, but it is already pretty simple and certainly it isn't necessary to do this for the sake of a living campaign.

          Bill W. Baldwin
          LFR Event Manager - Aglarond