Re: [LivingFR] PCs

  • MikeD
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hello LFRWDhoffman,

      Lac> Given that players will be able to play all or most LFR
      Lac> adventures (I think one post by Chris Tulach said all non-special
      Lac> LFR adventures) from anywhere in the world, will players tend to
      Lac> play one PC until they hit any hypothetical ceiling of available
      Lac> adventures, or will they have several PCs. If the latter, will
      Lac> choice of PCs to play be driven by which FR region is featured or
      Lac> by table balance? (No right answer, all personal preference.)

      One of the main reasons I have several characters is so that I have
      the ability to play a range of APLs because I never know what sorts of
      PC levels will show up at a game day ... or be left over at a
      convention ... that sort of thing. Having a range of PCs at various
      levls increases my chances of finding a seat.

      --
      MikeD mailto:miked_msn@...
    • edoyle167@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
        I usually maintain 2-3 pcs. I like to play different personalities, different classes, either male or female depending on the concept when the pc's personality and background are developed prior to creation. I try to consider combat or support abilities as well, especially playing in (LG) Keoland. Choice of which pc to play is, ideally, based on the interests listed in the blurb (if any), but sometimes is based on table need. This is probably how I will create for LFR as well (assuming 4e isn't a train wreck, and I hate it).

        -Eric Doyle-

        From: MikeD <miked_msn@...>

        Hello LFRWDhoffman,

        Lac> Given that players will be able to play all or most LFR
        Lac> adventures (I think one post by Chris Tulach said all non-special
        Lac> LFR adventures) from anywhere in the world, will players tend to
        Lac> play one PC until they hit any hypothetical ceiling of available
        Lac> adventures, or will they have several PCs. If the latter, will
        Lac> choice of PCs to play be driven by which FR region is featured or
        Lac> by table balance? (No right answer, all personal preference.)

        One of the main reasons I have several characters is so that I have
        the ability to play a range of APLs because I never know what sorts of
        PC levels will show up at a game day ... or be left over at a
        convention ... that sort of thing. Having a range of PCs at various
        levls increases my chances of finding a seat.

        --
        MikeD mailto:miked_msn@verizon. net

      • Pete Cooney
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2008
          If the
          > latter, will choice of PCs to play be driven by which FR region is
          featured or by
          > table balance?

          It will depend on where you live and the available player-base. In
          areas where there are fewer players, you're forced to play characters
          to fit the table more. If you play in an area with more gamers, or
          online a lot, you have more options, so you can better afford to play
          a regional storyline.

          Given the "play anywhere" nature of the regions, I fully intend to try
          and keep a PC in "like regions"--for example, one PC will stick around
          the Shining Sea (whatever's left of it), one will be based in Cormyr &
          that environs, etc. If anything, my experience gaming in the BK and
          Gran March taught me that some PCs just don't do terribly well in
          other regions :-)

          Pete Cooney
        • Paul E. Milligan
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3, 2008
            --- In LivingFR@yahoogroups.com, LFRWDhoffman@... wrote:

            > Given that players will be able to play all or most LFR
            > adventures ... from anywhere in the world, will players
            > tend to play one PC until they hit any hypothetical ceiling
            > of available adventures, or will they have several PCs?

            I imagine I'll have several PCs. While some of the reasons
            I did this in LG will change in LFR, others will remain.
            The restrictions of LG regions will be removed, but regional
            concepts will still exist. APL coverage and TUs were other
            reasons. We'll have to see how they're implemented in LFR.

            The need for a mix of classes at the table will still exist for
            those of us who don't play in a regular group. If LFR offers
            special character creation options, as in the LG Bright Sands
            module arc, that will lead to more PCs, of course. And, as
            others have mentioned, there will still be an interest in trying
            out different character concepts. I found that I kept coming up
            with more such concepts as LG grew to incorporate more and more
            books, classes, prestige classes, spells, feats and magic items.
            The same thing could happen again.

            My first PC will likely be a re-write of the Elf Ranger PC
            I played in Living City more than a decade ago. What's the
            passage of one hundred years to Elf? I don't think I'll
            bother explaining how he fell from eight level back to first.

            Paul Milligan
            Columbia, Maryland
          • MikeD
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
              Hello Paul,

              PEM> I imagine I'll have several PCs. While some of the reasons
              PEM> I did this in LG will change in LFR, others will remain.
              PEM> The restrictions of LG regions will be removed, but regional
              PEM> concepts will still exist. APL coverage and TUs were other
              PEM> reasons. We'll have to see how they're implemented in LFR.

              I doubt that APL range limits will be removed ... at least
              conceptually. While the 'details' and/or the mechanics of it will
              change, having a 1st level and 12th levle PCs playing at the same
              table will still be a problem.

              --
              MikeD mailto:miked_msn@...
            • Scott Withington
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
                I think that any rules mechanics that relate should be geared to
                enocourage players to have multiple PC's I think the ideal is to have
                one PC for each region, and then play the cores with one of those PCs
                depending on the blurb. this leads to pcs being of balanced levels
                from an active player to a less active one.

                -Scott-

                --- In LivingFR@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Cooney" <cooneypete@...> wrote:

                > If the
                > > latter, will choice of PCs to play be driven by which FR region is
                > featured or by
                > > table balance?
                >
                > It will depend on where you live and the available player-base. In
                > areas where there are fewer players, you're forced to play characters
                > to fit the table more. If you play in an area with more gamers, or
                > online a lot, you have more options, so you can better afford to play
                > a regional storyline.
                >
                > Given the "play anywhere" nature of the regions, I fully intend to try
                > and keep a PC in "like regions"--for example, one PC will stick around
                > the Shining Sea (whatever's left of it), one will be based in Cormyr &
                > that environs, etc. If anything, my experience gaming in the BK and
                > Gran March taught me that some PCs just don't do terribly well in
                > other regions :-)
                >
                > Pete Cooney

              • David Adams
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2008
                  I think that depends on the player. Some people prefer to have one
                  character per region, some prefer to have one character. I tend to be a
                  mix of both.

                  Cheers,

                  Dave.