Re: [LivingFR] Rules on Assisting

  • Jake Fitch
    Message 1 of 79 , Jul 8 11:32 AM
      What people have said is correct when using Aid Another for a skill check.

      If you wish to Aid Another's combat roll, it automatically succeed.  It takes a Standard Action to do so and you must be adjacent to the enemy that you are helping them hit.  Aiding Another's defense works exactly the same.

      If you have a DDI subscription, the updated rules are in the Compendium under Aid Another in the rules section.

      On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:44 PM, chad <greyhawk.chad@...> wrote:

      On Jul 8, 2010, at 9:30 AM, Russell wrote:

      > I heard that the rules for assisting have changed. I was wondering if anyone knew the rules or where I could go to look them up. I heard that not just anyone can assist on skill checks or what not.

      In addition to what the others have said, you can only assist if the DM determines that it is reasonable to do so; the cap of 4 adds to rather than replacing that rule. Do not expect that suddenly you'll be able to have 4 assists on every skill check. :-)

      In my opinion (i.e. not a hard and fast rule), if you're DMing in a situation where you might have previously wanted the entire party to work at it, you probably want a group check (at least half the party succeeds) or a simple skill challenge (4 successes before 3 failures) instead.

      *Chad

    • George H
      Message 79 of 79 , Jul 17 12:58 PM
        And maybe with Essentials, they'll actually end up putting the bonuses from the Expertise feats into the PCs and get rid of those feats.

        GH