RE: [LivingFR] Hybrid PCs? When?

  • Dan Lynch
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 8, 2010
      > Any rumblings when LFR will allow hybrid PCs?

      They became legal on January 19, 2010.
    • Dan T
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 8, 2010

        Actually , Not yet ….

        And I Quote

        “We understand that many players are eager to test out the new hybrid character rules. We appreciate that enthusiasm, and we look forward to your playtest feedback, which will help us improve these rules.
        However, since these rules are experimental and likely to undergo significant changes before they are published in final form, we’ve made two decisions regarding the type of official support that we’ll provide for this content, decisions different from what we normally do for D&D Insider playtest  content.

        Hybrid characters are not allowed in RPGA sanctioned events at this time.
        • The D&D Insider Compendium and Character Builder will not support hybrid characters at this time.

        We expect that the final version of the hybrid character rules will be legal for RPGA sanctioned events and also supported in the Compendium and the Character Builder. When the final version is published, we’ll let you know about the change in status. Thanks for your understanding!”

        Dan T

        Herald Level DM

        From: Samuel Hendricks <notmousse@...>

        Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 22:29:22 -0700

        To: <LivingFR@yahoogroups.com>

        Can't say I know, but my best guess is with PH3's release in March.

        --
        America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
        -Abraham Lincoln

      • Dan T
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 8, 2010

          Umm. I have not found that yet. Can you please quote a source J I would LOVE to run one and have store full of players waiting for it.

          Dan

          Herald Level DM

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 8, 2010

            http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75854/22102901/Hybrids_LFR_legal_on_the_19th

            --
            Dan
          • Dan T
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 8, 2010

              That is totally awesome thanks. I had not read that yet… I will let the players in my store know…

              Thanks again

              Dan T

              Herald Level DM

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 9, 2010
                On Feb 8, 2010, at 11:02 PM, Dan T wrote:

                > That is totally awesome thanks. I had not read that yet… I will let the players in my store know…

                Make sure that your players understand that the LFR legal (and final) version of the Hybrid rules are the rules that came out then (19 Jan 2010, I think it was). Previous versions were very different, are not legal in any way, and basically should be ignored.

                You might also tell them to be careful playing all-hybrid tables; the hybrid Defenders and Leaders can be especially rough for the first couple levels.

                *Chad
              • Evan Miller
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 9, 2010
                  Yeah, it was Debut Content last month.  Debut Content is legal upon release.  Hybrids are now llegal using the version in the compendium/character builder.

                  Evan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 9, 2010

                    I have heard that hybrid characters get *much* better mileage (measured in healing surges per milestone) than conventional characters. Does this seem to be the case?

                    Also, I have heard that only half-elves, half-orcs, and (when the upcoming Dark Sun setting is released) muuls and half giants can be hybrids.

                    Yeah, it was Debut Content last month.  Debut Content is legal upon release.  Hybrids are now llegal using the version in the compendium/character builder.

                    Evan

                    Umm. I have not found that yet. Can you please quote a source J I would LOVE to run one and have store full of players waiting for it.

                  • chad
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 9, 2010
                      No, none of that is true, and some of it is impossible (there are no half-giants; they are replaced by goliaths).   If you can't just look at the DDI article, you'll want a much large grain of salt for you rumour consumption for the next month.

                      *chad

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 9, 2010
                        I have had a hybrid character for some time in a home campaign. The campaign was converted from 3.5 to 4th ed and I first chose a multiclass option. I wasn't statisfied with that option, it wasn't enough like my 3.5 version of the character, so I asked my DM to make my character a hybrid. With no change in stats, and replacing my two multiclass feats (we started 4ed at 4th level) with Hybrid Talent and toughness I still lost. The hybrid version of my character lost a point of AC, a point of fort defense, 2 hit points (and remember I added toughness) and 1 healing surge. The race, stats, equipment all were the same in both versions. What I did gain, was a character that was closer to the 3.5 version of the character which has made me happy.

                        Dan

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 9, 2010
                          Not necessarily.  Some class combos have good synergy and mesh really well and others don't.  You get a lot more versatilty but you sacrifice a lot of what makes your constituent classes what they are.  It's a give and take.  You're never as good at a role as a single classed (or MCed) character.  Then again, so many people have been making characters where they go for the secondary role as primary (Paladin strikers?  Please...) and end up sucking at their primary role I guess it won't seem like much of a change.  :)

                          Evan
                          I have heard that hybrid characters get *much* better mileage (measured in healing surges per milestone) than conventional characters. Does this seem to be the case?

                        • Ryan Cannon
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 10, 2010
                            On Feb 10, 2010, at 12:39 AM, LivingFR@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                            > Some class combos have good synergy and mesh really well and others
                            > don't. You get a lot more versatilty but you sacrifice a lot of what
                            > makes your constituent classes what they are. It's a give and take.
                            > You're never as good at a role as a single classed (or MCed)
                            > character. Then again, so many people have been making characters
                            > where they go for the secondary role as primary (Paladin strikers?
                            > Please...) and end up sucking at their primary role I guess it won't
                            > seem like much of a change. :)

                            A good way to think about it is that you're 40% of both your hybrid
                            classes, rather than 50%. I've been trying to put together a hybrid
                            leader/leader, but realized that I would get only half of the mileage
                            out of all the feats that augment my healing.

                            --

                            Ryan
                            http://ryancannon.com/
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 10, 2010
                              Cleric strikers on the other hand are far far superior to paladin strikers.
                              Mrm. 40+ basic attacks once again. God I love augment shards.
                              Skip
                              The right to discuss freely and openly,
                              by speech, by the pen, by the press,
                              all political questions, and to examine the
                              animadvert upon all political institutions
                              is a right so clear and certain,
                              so interwoven with our other liberties,
                              so necessary, in fact, to their existence,
                              that without it we must fall into despotism
                              and anarchy.