Re: Looking for other Wisconsinites

  • Janet Appling
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2009
      I grew up on 86th and Paulina in Chicago and went to the public schools. My HS was Calumet, which is now defunct. They closed it up as a public HS last year. It is now a vocational academy. My cousin went to Maria. I went on to Northern Ill Univ to get my BS in Education. I taught in Oregon , ILL and then joined the Army with a Direct Commission as a 1st Lt. I spent 8yrs in the Army, met my husband and had my first son at Ft Leonard, MO.

      We moved to Rhinelander in May 1972, to the property that I had purchased on land contract at the age of 20. I had my second son in Rhinelander in Dec 1972. We had a mobile home that me brought from MO and lived in it until I built our house. Ron worked as a Baker 6 days a week, 16-20 hours a day. So if I wanted a house, I had to build it.

      My command of the Lithuanian language is poor. My parents never taught me because my older brother had trouble learning English when he went to school. They didn't want my younger brother or me to have the same problem. My listening vocabulary is much better than my speaking and I have enough familiarity to be able to stumble thru small amounts of written .

      I went to Lithuania 4 years ago and have a computer language lesson that I studied. I stayed with a Great Aunt that spoke not English and between the little Lithuanian I knew and my "handy dandy" phrase book and dictionary got along just fine for almost 2 weeks.

      I've rambled long enough and its time to go to bed.

      Janet in Rhinelander.