Re: Looking for other Wisconsinites

  • Ona Hagreen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2009
      Hi this is an off shoot from my Lithuanians in Chicago(i'm only the moderator of that one-but the owner is hardly there)

      Need anything?

      How long up here? me will be 3 yrs
      Where in Chicago? Started in Marquette Park,then west lawn, and last in Beverly

      I went to Maria and Nativity

      Doe you still speak Lith? I do,reading so-so,writing not to good

      I have been advertising for months,lot of people not interested-busy

      talk soon
      raining
      ona gudauskaite-Hagreen

      --- In LithuaniansofWisconsin@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Appling" <janetappling@...> wrote:

      > Hi Ona,
      >
      > This is a great idea. I know I'm isolated from other Lithuanians, being up here in the north woods. Having grown up in Chicago with relatives that are all gone now and access to Lithuanian activities and Mass in Lithuanian, I miss access to my heritage. I know there are a couple of others here in WI from the other message boards.
      >
      > Why not post an invitation to some of the other boards like Friends of Lithuania, All things Lithuanian, The Lithuanian club at large, Lithuanian Genealogy, etc. Explain you started a new group to find Lithuanians in WI. It would be nice if we could get a northern group of people together, because we are so isolated.
      >
      > What do you think?
      >
      > Janet

    • Janet Appling
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2009
        I grew up on 86th and Paulina in Chicago and went to the public schools. My HS was Calumet, which is now defunct. They closed it up as a public HS last year. It is now a vocational academy. My cousin went to Maria. I went on to Northern Ill Univ to get my BS in Education. I taught in Oregon , ILL and then joined the Army with a Direct Commission as a 1st Lt. I spent 8yrs in the Army, met my husband and had my first son at Ft Leonard, MO.

        We moved to Rhinelander in May 1972, to the property that I had purchased on land contract at the age of 20. I had my second son in Rhinelander in Dec 1972. We had a mobile home that me brought from MO and lived in it until I built our house. Ron worked as a Baker 6 days a week, 16-20 hours a day. So if I wanted a house, I had to build it.

        My command of the Lithuanian language is poor. My parents never taught me because my older brother had trouble learning English when he went to school. They didn't want my younger brother or me to have the same problem. My listening vocabulary is much better than my speaking and I have enough familiarity to be able to stumble thru small amounts of written .

        I went to Lithuania 4 years ago and have a computer language lesson that I studied. I stayed with a Great Aunt that spoke not English and between the little Lithuanian I knew and my "handy dandy" phrase book and dictionary got along just fine for almost 2 weeks.

        I've rambled long enough and its time to go to bed.

        Janet in Rhinelander.