Re: [Lister_CSOG] Re: [WoodGas] Re: Late night Listering - it runs on wood gas at 17:1 compression ratio.

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 7 9:51 AM
      I have several MSD units and I have found that an MSD unit can allow a engine to run ok, that would otherwise not run at all.

      The MSD unit can make up for a lot of tuning/poor carbureation (sp?)/bad gas sins.

      I'd look for a source of low cost MSD type units instead of trying to engineer it out of the system.   Chips and circuitry are pretty cheap now.  An alternator scavenged from a car, a used battery and you are good to go.

      Even the Ford Model T had a type of MSD unit - the Ford buzz box ignition.   Crude, but it worked.

      Dave

      On 4/6/2012 3:39 PM, ron ohler wrote:

      Hi Ken,
      I understand the want for a simple magneto type ignition system. The MSD unit I quickly fitted is a spark monster. Scary powerful item. Don't want to get a poke from that.

      I had some items I particularly liked about your system. The retard was nice to aid in finding the "sweet" spot for ignition advance. The other is the fact that it will spark as long as a magnet is in front of the sensor. What this means is that while you had us use a small disk magnet there is no reason I know of that would preclude us from using a larger magnet - or magnets - to increase the spark duration. It is considered a benefit to have a longer duration in addition to the multi discharge that both your system and the MSD offered. For increasing the duration with your unit I'm specifically thinking of some hard drive magnets I'd picked up years back off of eBay that were kidney shaped and thinner than the disc magnet we were using. These were about .75" wide and 1.6" long by maybe .100" thick.

      I presume it is not difficult for you to present a system with the original capabilities and maybe even an additional amplifier circuit. This could be potted for durability.

      Best,
      Ron O