Re: [Lionel_PostwarTrains] Re: 8142 Lionel Steam Loco

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2010
      I had an 8142.  The shell was from the postwar prairie series but the MPC era reduced the number of drive wheels from 6 to 4.  Sound of steam and whistle were provided by a circuit board and coaxial speaker in the tender.  much like a transistor radio in my mind.  steam chuffing was really not much more than continuious static from the speaker broken by a wired interupter synced to the smoke piston.  whistle sound operated in traditional sense via transformer button or stand alone button when a cheaper transformer was provided.  many of these boards are today badly deteriorated and difficult to get replaced.  engine is a decent puller but cheaper MPC era gave in a two way e-unit; forward and reverse but NO neutral.  These locos were actually higher end locos for MPC and in different liveries and either Atlantic or Adriatic wheel configuration pulled some of the nicer sets in the 70s.  the baby Madison passenger sets most notably.

      David Forrester