Restoration

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 17, 2004
      Hi All,

      I was wondering what restoration does to value of trains. I've been picking up some older (but inexpensive model) engines and was thinking about cleaning them up painting them etc where needed. Is it a good idea, or bad idea?

      Thanks
      Dan

    • Bruce Sherman
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 17, 2004
        I am not a member of any organization, but from hearing people talk, that
        unless its a real basket case, don't restore it, it will loose value.

        I believe that if the item is restored, there should be some kind of
        notation inside the shell so no one in the future will mistake it for a
        original paint job.

        Bruce
        > I was wondering what restoration does to value of trains. I've been
        picking up some older (but inexpensive model) engines and was thinking about
        cleaning them up painting them etc where needed. Is it a good idea, or bad
        idea?

        > Thanks
        > Dan

        > come join my sister group to talk about modern Lionel, send a email to the
        following address to join
        > Lionel_Trains_21Century-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > Post message: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
        > Subscribe: Lionel_PostwarTrains-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 17, 2004
          Thanks. I do have a basket case or two that I want to do just so that I can enjoy looking at them more. If and when I get something more valuable I'll keep this in mind.

          Thanks again
          Dan

          > I was wondering what restoration does to value of trains. I've been
          picking up some older (but inexpensive model) engines and was thinking about
          cleaning them up painting them etc where needed. Is it a good idea, or bad
          idea?

          > Thanks
          > Dan

          > come join my sister group to talk about modern Lionel, send a email to the
          following address to join
          > Lionel_Trains_21Century-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          > Post message: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
          > Subscribe: Lionel_PostwarTrains-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          come join my sister group to talk about modern Lionel, send a email to the following address to join
          Lionel_Trains_21Century-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
          Post message: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
          Subscribe: Lionel_PostwarTrains-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Tom M
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 17, 2004
            --If you look at Greenbergs guide, restored value is somewhat less
            than the value in good condition. Good condition is pretty rough in
            my opinion. You have to consider the restoration. I have seen some
            excellent work and some really poor stuff. These items are toys and
            for the most part in spite of what e-bay would have you believe, most
            are not particularly rare. Do what makes you happy.-Tm

            - In Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <d.russell@r...>

            Service.

          • Dan
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 17, 2004
              Thanks Tom. I didn't realize that Greenbergs guide listed a restored value. I just got my first train book "Collecting toy trains by Richard O'Brien" it only lists value by condition.

              Thanks
              Dan

              wrote:
              > Thanks. I do have a basket case or two that I want to do just so
              that I can enjoy looking at them more. If and when I get something
              more valuable I'll keep this in mind.

              > Thanks again
              > Dan

              Service.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 17, 2004
                This whole hobby would be easier if it were fifty years ago and
                nothing was a treasure. We wouldn't have all these issues. I
                personally just can't get into the new stuff however, give me a
                sticky e-unit over a blown circuit board any day!-TM

                unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > > > URL to this page:
                > > >
                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > > >

                > > come join my sister group to talk about modern Lionel, send a
                > email to the following address to join
                > > Lionel_Trains_21Century-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > > Post message: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
                > > Subscribe: Lionel_PostwarTrains-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > > Unsubscribe: Lionel_PostwarTrains-
                unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > > URL to this page:
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Terms of
                > Service.

                > come join my sister group to talk about modern Lionel, send a
                email to the following address to join
                > Lionel_Trains_21Century-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > Post message: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
                > Subscribe: Lionel_PostwarTrains-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                > URL to this page:
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Service.

              • wcam
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 8 2:05 PM
                  Hi all

                  I have just been given a pile of O gauge material from an old friend whose mate has passed away.
                  A ton of O gauge track and 2 dets of switches (no tarnish and looks brand new, A little late in life but I thought I would give this hobby a try being just retired.
                  I have the following
                  Lionel 610 Erie Switcher
                  Lionel 2025 Steam engine
                  Lionel 1033 Transformer
                  Williams by Bachmann Souther Aba
                  Williams by Bachmann Lackawanna

                  The 2 Williams I think never got used or very little.

                  The 610 is dead except for the E-Unit and the 2025 runs but no lights or smoke.
                  The light problem is sorted out but not the smoke unit
                  Can the smoke unit be bench tested, and what publication would be a reliable source
                  for the actual part numbers.

                  Thanks in advance for any help and great group to belong to.

                  Sandy

                • trainlarry
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 8 4:19 PM
                    The smoke unit operates at normal transformer voltage and can be checked by hooking your transformer leads to the power wire and any metal part of the smoke unit. If the unit is plugged with pellet material, turn the voltage up and wait for the material to start melting. If the unit does not heat up, the element is probably bad.
                    Greenbergs service manual is the usual place to go to for diagrams and parts lists. The pages for your locos are here and here. A complete dis-assembly, cleaning and lubrication is probably needed to get your trains in good running order.

                    Larry
                  • wcam
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 8 6:27 PM
                      Thanks for the reply Larry
                      I will get a copy of Greenbergs and search for some info on cleaning properly. Would the 90 watt 1033 be enough power for the Williams trains or would they need a newer, more powerful model?
                    • Jim Hamill
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 8 7:46 PM
                        Hi Sandy:

                        The Greenberg's Manual is a good place to start.  Another is the website for Olsen Toy Train Parts (OTTP).  The specific page(s) for the 2025 are at:  http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/2025-52.htm
                        If you go to  their library, you can find info on the 610 and 1033 you inherited.
                        If the pill type smoke unit fails to operate, you can replace it with an oil smoke kit.  They work pretty well.  For parts, you can contact OTTP or other's in the Postwar site's list.

                        Jim Hamill
                        New Milford, CT

                        What you learn, you keep forever! - K'ung Ch'iu
                        Cogito, ergo sum! - Rene DesCartes

                        To: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 8 10:55 PM
                          For the Lionel...

                          Look at this on eBay:

                          Greenberg's repair and Operating Manual for Lionel Trains 1945-1969 (7th edit.)

                          There are a number of editions and conditions listed on eBay, as well as CDs with equivalent information. I think the Greenberg books are all the same except for the covers, but I'm not positive. Costs range from under $10 on up.

                          Charles

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 8 10:58 PM
                            Running one locomotive at a time, if the Williams only have two motors, they probably draw less current than the Lionel. Charles

                            On Jul 8, 2014, at 8:27 PM, "wcam@... [Lionel_PostwarTrains]" <Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            Thanks for the reply Larry
                            I will get a copy of Greenbergs and search for some info on cleaning properly. Would the 90 watt 1033 be enough power for the Williams trains or would they need a newer, more powerful model?

                          • Pete Serrino