Cleaning up a 224 loco (Please ignore prior post on this.)

  • Malcolm Laughlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2014

      I'm reconditioning a 224 locomotive that is part of the 1945 set 463W.  This is the 1945 only version that has the blackened handrails athe funky draw bar.  The handrails have patches of rust along them.  Can the rust be removed without ruining the appearance of the handrails ?  Can they be re blackened to look like the originals ?  Or can I buy replacement blackened handrail wire ?I see that Dr. Tinker has a "Blackener f/Steel & Nickel Finishes".  Is that what I need ?

      Bells.  My 226 has a very rusted bell.  I could take it off and wire brush the rust off .  Or I could spend $7.00 to replace it.  Any thoughts on that ?

      This is part of my project to make a 1945 463 set look as nice as it can be without harming its authenticity as a collector's item.    I'm aesthetically indisposed to selling rusty items if they reasonably be cleaned up

      Thanks for any advice

      Malcolm Laughlin,