Cleanup on a 224

  • Malcolm Laughlin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2014

      I'm reconditioning a 224 locomotive that is part of the 1945 set 463W.  Thius is the 1945 only version that has the blackended hndrails athe funky drawbar.  The handrails have patches of rust along them.  Can the rust be removed without ruining the appearance of the handrails ?  Can they be reblackened to look like the originals ?  Or can I buy replacement blackened handrail wire ?I see that Dr. Tinker has a "Blackener f/Steel & Nickel Finishes".  Is that what I need ?

      Bells.  My 226 has a very rusted bell.  I could take it off and wire brush the rust off .  Or I could spend $7.00 to replace it.  Any thoughts on that ?

      Thanks for any advice

      Malcolm Laughlin,

    • Pete Serrino