Sound of Steam Volume Control

  • William Manley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2014
      I have two engines with the Mighty Sound of Steam, Lionel  6-8307 Southern Pacific Daylight Engine (140858098144) and Lionel 6-8002 Union Pacific 2-8-4 Berkshire Locomotive (150841026186). I find the mighty sound a little too mighty and want to control the volume but alas there does not appear to be a volume control anywhere.  I took them apart to check on the board mounting as I read that the foam padding rots causing the board to short out on the frame.  While they were apart I saw the two leads going to the speaker and thought I could insert a potentiometer on one of the leads and let it hang in the water scoup. However I know very little about electronics and there are a vast amounts of potentiometers of various ratings at Radio Shack.

      Has anyone added a volume control to these tenders?
      Can I control the volume with a pot on a speaker lead?
      What type of pot do I need, ohms, watts, etc?

      Thanks
      Bill Manley