Lionel 027 Remote Switch.

  • petethegricer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 13, 2014

      The remote switch uses track power to switch when the track is being fed conventionally for a loco to run. Trouble is when running a  No 8632 NYC 4-4-2 steam loco, it draws so much power, there is insufficient to let the switch operate properly. The switch works fine when the power is on, but no loco is running.

      Any suggestions, like removing the flag top and squirting in WD40??

      .

      Thanks.

      Peter Bird. England UK.

    • win zip
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 13, 2014
        Wouldn't it be simpler to just use an auxillary power source dedicated to the switches and perhaps some other small accessories?

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 13, 2014
          Micro-Mark has a variety of accessory and switches control boards, servos and auxiliary supply units to simplify separate power systems. You might want to check it out. Www.micromark.com

          I just happen to have their catalogue next to me when I saw this post.

          Tom K

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 13, 2014
             Does this happen to all your switches, or only some of them? How big is your layout, and what transformer are you using? It sounds like your layout may be under powered, or you may be getting a voltage drop near the switches. The 027 switches (except for FasTrack switches) do not have provisions for external power like the '0' gauge switches do.They can be modified to use external power. Try wiring in extra lockons near the switches to insure they are getting full power. If this does not help, a transformer upgrade may be needed, or you may have issues with the switches themselves, or possibly the locomotive may be drawing too much power.

            Larry
          • petethegricer
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 13, 2014
              I'm not certain you can use an independant power supply to operate the switch, because it has a non-derail feature, operated by track power.
            • jos. allegro
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 13, 2014
                Hey Guys
                Purchase a cheap AC DC voltmeter and stop guessing about voltage drop problems.

                On Sunday, July 13, 2014 12:25 PM, "peter.frederickbird@... [Lionel_PostwarTrains]" <Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                I'm not certain you can use an independant power supply to operate the switch, because it has a non-derail feature, operated by track power.

              • email
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 13, 2014
                  The Lionel website has a video showing how to wire a switch for direct power.

                  Alan

                  On Jul 13, 2014, at 12:03 PM, "peter.frederickbird@... [Lionel_PostwarTrains]" <Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  I'm not certain you can use an independant power supply to operate the switch, because it has a non-derail feature, operated by track power.

                • Gary Glaenzer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 13, 2014

                    yes

                    they are so cheap that if you step on it and break it or it falls and breaks, or the grand-kid tries to flush it, nothing lost

                    $ 7.88 and FREE SHIPPING

                    I buy these by the half-dozen, leave one at every transmitter site I maintain,. two in each vehicle, two on the bench at home

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 13, 2014

                      Thanks Alan,
                      I've found a Lionel you-tube film which shows how to modify the wiring for constant voltage switching. However one has to ensure both supplies from the variable voltage controller and constant voltage supply are phased and parelled hot to hot and common to common.

                      But i'll ask how to do that in another question.

                    • petethegricer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 13, 2014

                        Hello Larry.

                        My layout is quite small, 10ft by 3ft-6in, and i only have one remote inaccessable switch, so i dont think it's power loss, but i will try extra lock-on's before i make changes. It could be a problem with the switch motor of course, so 'll do my best to check that also. I've just found and watched a Lionel you-tube video about modifying the wiring to 0-27 switches to give them remote capability, and it seems to suggest to me, the reason they're offering this advice is because its a common problem.
                        My power supply seems to be ok, but here in the UK we dont have 120v @ 60HZ AC, It's 230v Nom: @ 50HZ AC, so we have to use a separate locally made transformer, it's output of 18v AC  being plugged into (in my case) a Railking Zcontroller, for variable voltage output. Note the cycles (HZ) are lower, which i think wont help.

                        Peter Bird. England UK.

                      • win zip
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 13, 2014
                          check Harbor Freight...they usually give these away free with a coupon.

                          To: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com