Wiring Help with Diagram

  • Van Welton
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2014
      Friends,

      I uploading a rough diagram of my layout.  It is in the file section along with a couple of photos of my layout.  I thank you in advance for you help.

      My trepidation is with the wiring.  Would someone please mark it as I should wire it.  I am particularly confused with the wye and how the upper circle connects with the inner circle.

      All switches are remote.  I would like to run two trains at one time.  I would like to have accessories lit up around the layout.  I have a ZW 275 transformer.

      I hope this is not too much to ask. Howeve, I would not ask if I were not over my head.

      Thanks,
      Van
    • tmackinator
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2014
        I put a file in the files section of a wiring suggestion for your layout. I'm not sure if it is what you are looking for. The file is a PDF called Layout wiring by tmackinator.-TM
      • Van Welton
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2014
          Thanks a lot.
          Van

          On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 8:22 AM, tmackinator@... [Lionel_PostwarTrains] <Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I put a file in the files section of a wiring suggestion for your layout. I'm not sure if it is what you are looking for. The file is a PDF called Layout wiring by tmackinator.-TM

        • bigal_956
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2014
            Not an easy question to answer. Oh and I found your file in the photos section not the files section.
            First question I would like to know if this layout will feature conventional transformer or Legacy control?

            Here are some best practices for your layout.

            • A ZW has 2 controls for trains and 2 other controls for accessories. 4 circuits total.
            • You can thus have 2 independently controlled loops.
            • The outer rail is a common return and will be connected to the U terminal of the transformer.
            • All accessories will utilize the U connection as a common return. This run a Black wire around the layout you can tie into.
            • Run bus wires for the A and D track power around the layout.
            • The B and C controls from the transformer can be used for accessories. If you are right handed use the B for vibrating accessories where you will want to vary the power up and down and the C for a 14v or so fixed power source for lights and accessories that do not require power adjustment.
            • Pick up some 14 gauge stranded wire in an assortment of colors. Also get some blue tap splices.
            • Use SPST toggles to turn on and off blocks and sidings where you expect to park trains.
            Refer to this video I have for more information on wiring. http://youtu.be/f3WYD7teKIA
            Good luck and have fun.

          • Gary Glaenzer
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2014

              I would hope that by 'tap splices' you mean the true 'T' type, not those Scotchlok things

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5, 2014
                I am referring to GB or similar tap splice, AKA 'suitcase connectors' commonly found at most home improvement stores .When used properly with the correct wire size they are very reliable and simplify wiring imensely. I have been using them for over 10 years on my layout and never had a problem. Here is a link to the 14-18 gauge variety.

                 Dorman® Conduct-Tite!™ 85495 - Quick Splice Terminals | O'Reilly Auto Parts

              • Gary Glaenzer
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 5, 2014

                  I wouldn't use those on anything

                  Too many bad memories of late-night calls to fix a police vehicle because the installer used those.

                  I'll solder and tape.........

                  I am referring to GB or similar tap splice, AKA 'suitcase connectors' commonly found at most home improvement stores .When used properly with the correct wire size they are very reliable and simplify wiring imensely. I have been using them for over 10 years on my layout and never had a problem. Here is a link to the 14-18 gauge variety.

                   Dorman® Conduct-Tite!™ 85495 - Quick Splice Terminals | O'Reilly Auto Parts

                • Dockstader, David R (Jefferson)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 5, 2014

                    I too depend on solder. Too many problems with trailer lights wired with suitcase connectors. I do use shrink wrap. It is pretty inexpensive at Harbor Freight.

                  • Gary Glaenzer
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2014
                      A lot of electrical supply places stock the 3M brand shrink-wrap in various sizes in 4-ft lengths

                      Or you can get it at Mouser