Tubular Track Power Variations: Any fixes

  • Ron_Byrne
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 29, 2014

      I have a modest post war layout. I'd like to set the speed of the train to one speed and forget it. Unfortunately, the train goes faster some sections track and slows on others. For the record, I have two power connections each about half way round the oval. Help?

    • Bruce
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 29, 2014
        The sections where it goes slower you have power problems to that section of track. Check connections between tracks or provide more power connections to those sections of tracks.

        Bruce

        On June 29, 2014 10:20:07 AM EDT, "ron_byrne@... [Lionel_PostwarTrains]" <Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I have a modest post war layout. I'd like to set the speed of the train to one speed and forget it. Unfortunately, the train goes faster some sections track and slows on others. For the record, I have two power connections each about half way round the oval. Help?

      • email

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 29, 2014
            This is somewhat tedious, but I soldered all my track connections. It goes faster than you think.-TM

            Thomas M. McLean

            I have a modest post war layout. I'd like to set the speed of the train to one speed and forget it. Unfortunately, the train goes faster some sections track and slows on others. For the record, I have two power connections each about half way round the oval. Help?

          • win zip
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 29, 2014
              I saw an ad for a current-conducting product that goes on like glue and you don't have to mess with a soldering iron. Wondering if anyone has tried that product and if it really works.
              Thanks

              To: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
              From: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 07:48:32 -0700

              This is somewhat tedious, but I soldered all my track connections. It goes faster than you think.-TM

              Thomas M. McLean

              I have a modest post war layout. I'd like to set the speed of the train to one speed and forget it. Unfortunately, the train goes faster some sections track and slows on others. For the record, I have two power connections each about half way round the oval. Help?

            • Richard Walker
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 30, 2014
                Do you have any more info on this glue/solder. I wonder if it would hold a feeder wire to track.

                Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

                To: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
                From: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 07:48:32 -0700

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 30, 2014
                  I saw it advertised on e-bay...here's the address: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrical-Conductive-Glue-Connect-Bus-Tabbing-Wire-Solar-Cell-No-Soldering-iron-/231254060522?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d7d0edea

                  if that doesn't work, just search for solder glue and you'll find it.   According to the hype it works on everything including feeder wire.  But don't know for sure.
                  Good luck

                  To: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
                  From: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 04:50:06 -0700

                  To: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
                  From: Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 07:48:32 -0700

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 30, 2014
                    You do not say how large your layout is, what type of track you are using, if it's level, or if the slow-down zones are on curves or straights. My large layout has 18 gauge power feeder wires soldered to the track at about 5-7 foot intervals. I also use 14 gauge bus wires that carry the power and splice into the feeders with tap splices. here is a video I posted on best wiring practices. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3WYD7teKIA

                    If your layout had an up grade you should know you will have to apply more power on the uphill and less power on the downhill.  You can use different transformer taps for level, up, and downgrade sections.

                    Modern Legacy, Odysseey, and MTH locomotives have cruise control circuitry that maintain a constant speed. If you follow these best practices with your wiring you should be able to overcome your slowdown issues.
                  • Bob Lingle
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 30, 2014
                      Sand the pins and use a small Dremel tool reamer on the opposing rail [female end].

                      On Monday, June 30, 2014 11:07 AM, "allan@... [Lionel_PostwarTrains]" <Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      You do not say how large your layout is, what type of track you are using, if it's level, or if the slow-down zones are on curves or straights. My large layout has 18 gauge power feeder wires soldered to the track at about 5-7 foot intervals. I also use 14 gauge bus wires that carry the power and splice into the feeders with tap splices. here is a video I posted on best wiring practices. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3WYD7teKIA

                      If your layout had an up grade you should know you will have to apply more power on the uphill and less power on the downhill.  You can use different transformer taps for level, up, and downgrade sections.

                      Modern Legacy, Odysseey, and MTH locomotives have cruise control circuitry that maintain a constant speed. If you follow these best practices with your wiring you should be able to overcome your slowdown issues.

                    • Bruce Palmer
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 30, 2014

                        I think dirty or rusty or loose pins are most likely to be the cause of the voltage drop . So you ought to check them all and be prepared to clean up the pins with sandpaper . I wouldn’t use a Dremel on the other rail ends as that could enlarge them and make the problem worse . A pipe cleaner or circular needle file is much gentler .Check the rail ends are a tight fit on the pins .

                        Ive used lots of old and rusty track but cleaned it up as suggested and don’t have any problems. Bruce

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 30, 2014

                          If you start to use power tools like a Dremel, make sure you also have a track plier that can reshape the female end of the tubular track.  This is probably the more prone part of the track connection that can go bad.

                          Bruce

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 30, 2014

                            Hi I use a product similar to this one below:

                             http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/8330S-21G/473-1177-ND/4040841

                            to reattach the power tab for rear back glasses in autos, (soldering upside down is no fun) if any of you have a suburban like utility vehicle with the coil wires hanging between the rear lift glass and the car you will know what I am referring to. Anyhow as with anything, base material, temperature, humidity and cleanness (yes silver oxidizes) is always a factor when attaching anything. The above epoxy works as a permanent fix about 90% of the time, sometimes the silver just flakes off the acid etch paint on the glass. This circuits are fused by a 30 amp fuse (or fusible link in older cars) obviously this would be an expensive replacement for conventional solder in our hobby but one I would be more comfortable than the painted solder for track connections that may need to handle 6 amps.

                            I would never use either due to fact soldering is easy, once learned, however the painted solder just might have some applications in our modeling area, just my two cents worth, regards Rob Wachter.

                          • norm.schreck
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 1, 2014
                              Al, Nice video  but one suggestion if I could ....... don't use speaker wire as the insulation isn't able to withstand the HEAT generated by having a short to ground which does happen on the layouts.

                              I know as a lot of smoke was generated  a few times when  the grandkids were running the trains.

                              I have POSTED a picture of one of the wires with melted insulation under Norm's Trains in the PHOTO section.

                              Hopefully it will show up..... I tried 3 times to POST it.

                              A better insulation is available on wire referred to as PRIMARY wire.

                              I tried the "suitcase" connector but it gave me problems on the stranded 18 ga. wire.

                              The metal bar in the connector didn't always cut through the insulation properly, cutting some of the wire strands and the connection eventually failed. Maybe the connectors I had were not the best quality, but  I did buy them at Home Depot.

                              Just FWIW,

                              Norm
                            • Gary Glaenzer
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 1, 2014