Need info on Lionel 6403B Bell Tender Nichrome Wire

  • strodude
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 18, 2014
      Hello everyone-

      I'm restoring a Lionel 1656 switcher and 6403B ringing bell tender for personal use.  The nichrome wire on the bell ringer mechanism is shot and it looks like someone tried to fix it once and failed.

      I'm looking for the number of turns of nichrome wire on the bimetallic strip so I can rewind mine.  I know this is a pretty odd request but I'm often surprised by what people on here know.  If you've got one that works and can snap an in-focus pic, that would be perfect.  Or, if you can count the number of turns, that would be greatly appreciated too.

      Many thanks!
      Darrin
    • Jay Hvisc
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 19, 2014
        Hi,
        You might be interested in buying a book which details Lionel postwar sets.  I saw this one on ebay auction number "141311456459".
        it was a bit expensive IMHO at $100 but there are probably other illustrated books and other places to look like half.com or amazon.

        The pictures and descriptions might crystallize  your memories.  If not the book itself would be fun and maybe you might see a set or individual pieces you like even more.

        Jay
      • Geoff Geffken
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 19, 2014
          I have this book, its by Doyle, and it is very comprehensive.
          Set Prices should just be thought of as a guideline as they vary a lot.

          It is available on Amazon as a used book for $49.

          Another set of reference books to look at/consider are the older Greenberg guides;
              There is Vol 3 on cataloged sets that I don't own.
              I have Vol 4 on uncataloged sets
          (fun to see what Sears/Montgomery Ward offered - I have distant memories of their thick catalogs)
              The prices on these books fluctuates as there is a limited availability (and on the bookseller's arbitrary notion of value)

          Greenberg's Guide to Lionel Trains, 1945-1969: Uncatalogued Sets, Vol. 4

          On Thursday, June 19, 2014 10:20 AM, "Jay Hvisc jaywish@... [Lionel_PostwarTrains]" <Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Hi,
          You might be interested in buying a book which details Lionel postwar sets.  I saw this one on ebay auction number "141311456459".
          it was a bit expensive IMHO at $100 but there are probably other illustrated books and other places to look like half.com or amazon.

          The pictures and descriptions might crystallize  your memories.  If not the book itself would be fun and maybe you might see a set or individual pieces you like even more.

          Jay

        • 074pdrake .

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 19, 2014
              Why was my e-mail about nichrome wire hijacked for a book about train sets?

              -Darrin

              On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 8:50 AM, Geoff Geffken geoffgeffken@... [Lionel_PostwarTrains] <Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              I have this book, its by Doyle, and it is very comprehensive.
              Set Prices should just be thought of as a guideline as they vary a lot.

              It is available on Amazon as a used book for $49.

              Another set of reference books to look at/consider are the older Greenberg guides;
                  There is Vol 3 on cataloged sets that I don't own.
                  I have Vol 4 on uncataloged sets
              (fun to see what Sears/Montgomery Ward offered - I have distant memories of their thick catalogs)
                  The prices on these books fluctuates as there is a limited availability (and on the bookseller's arbitrary notion of value)

              Greenberg's Guide to Lionel Trains, 1945-1969: Uncatalogued Sets, Vol. 4

              image
              Greenberg's Guide to Lionel Trains, 1945-1969: Uncatalog...
              Greenberg's Guide to Lionel Trains, 1945-1969: Uncatalogued Sets, Vol. 4 [Paul V. Ambrose, Joseph P. Algozzini, Barbara Morey] on Amazon.com. *FREE* ...
              Preview by Yahoo

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 19, 2014
                Thank you Greg!  I really appreciate any help you can provide.  It's under the lamp plate where the bulb screws in.

                Cheers!
                Darrin

                On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM, '074pdrake .' livorsig@... [Lionel_PostwarTrains] <Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

              • Bruce Sherman
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 19, 2014
                  The poster answered a different post under your post.  It happens on other groups.  I am sure it was accidental, or perhaps the original email was deleted and he answered it here.

                  Bruce

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 19, 2014
                    Darrin,
                    I snapped a few closeups of my nichrome. They are about 2meg each. Can I just email them to your gmail address?
                    Greg

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 19, 2014
                      Yes sir!  Thanks!