Identification

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 17, 2014
      Many years ago I had a wonderful Lionel set but, of course, have no idea what model it might have been. Maybe someone here might have a clue if I describe it.

      The engine, I believe, was a black steamer and if I recall correctly was a 2-4-2 configuration. It had a working headlight and smoker. I think it also had a working horn. No figures in cab. It was heavy so probably all metal. It had a coal tender, brown boxcar, a flatcar that I think may have carried logs, a black low-sided coal hopper and a brown caboose.

      The set was missing the original boxes. It came with enough tracks to make either a large oval or an over-under figure-8. One track piece was an uncoupler track that when you backed over it would uncouple cars but not when going forward (unless it was put in backwards). There were no turnouts or switches.

      Accessories included two plastic free-standing rail crossing signs, a billboard (I think), 6 or 7 plastic brown telephone poles, and individual black plastic bridge supports in varying heights that snapped on to the bottom of the tracks to form a bridge. It also had a small bottle of oil for the smokestack.

      The transformer was large with a large turn knob for speed. A single red button was pressed to reverse the engine or pressed again to go in the other direction. I think there was a second button on the other side of the transformer and that might have been for the horn.

      The set was given to my step-father in a large cardboard box and he gave it to me and this was around '62-'64. It ran great so I would likely put the manufacturing somewhere in the 50s. It got a lot of use until the last time I ran it in '75 before passing it on to another youngster who didn't have any toys. It was still working great then.

      Sorry for the long description but does this particular set come to anybody's mind? Sure would love to find a similar set if I knew what I was looking for. Thanks.

      Tom

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Toni & Brian
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 17, 2014

        Unfortunately that describes about 100 different cataloged Lionel sets from that period.  From 1946 thru 1953 most sets had a metal steamer. Up till 1953 most had a very similar assortment of cars.  It is nice that you have good memories of the set. That is how most of us got started acquiring more trains in later life.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 18, 2014
          I figured a long shot at best. It was truly a rugged set that could take a lot of abuse and still keep on trucking.

          Guess I'll have to keep watching eBay and see if a similar set shows up somewhere down the line. My goal is to start my collections from that set.

          It's the stuff that dreams are made of and was deeply rooted enough to get me back into model railroading decades later.

          Thanks for the response and happy railroading!

          Tom

          Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 18, 2014
              Your description of the uncoupling process makes me think the set could have been Marx. Do you recall whether the uncoupling track looked like this?

              Or maybe a Lionel Scout set with uncoupler track as in this listing:

              Look at this on eBay:

              Lionel Scout transformer, 29 pieces of track & 1 manual uncoupling track

              Hope these links move you on toward your goal.

              Charles

[...]

            • Ronald Lansing
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 18, 2014
                This link might help you in your search.
                Has the old catalogs with pictures.

                http://www.olsonhobbies.com/

                Best of luck!!!!!

                Ron

                "You will not see, if you do not look"

                Mount Snoopy Observatory
                Surprise, AZ  USA

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 18, 2014
                  Im sorry, I sent you to a purchase site.

                  Here is the correct link.

                  http://www.postwarlionel.com/

                  I have all the old catalogs and got them free, but dont remember where. Sorry