022 Remote switch

  • jim0ifcadvisors
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2014

      I recently purchased a set of used 022 switches. While they were old, they appeared in very nice shape and when I tested them, they worked fine, including the derailing feature. They are old enough that they were made in the US, if that matters.

      I decided to put them into a setup I made for my grandsons and was experiencing a few electrical problems that I worked through and now one of the switches is giving me fits. The right hand switch was staying to one side and sometimes it would change with the remote switch and sometimes I had to manually move it. I took it apart and found a bad solder joint that had cracked. I figured, my problem was solved. I cleaned the unit and put it back together.

      Now back in operation, it seemed fine for the first ten minutes that the train was running; snapping open and closed nicely. After about ten minutes, it snaps to one side, begins to buzz and will not react to the remote switch. If I move it manually, it snaps right back the other way. The non derailing feature will not operate when it does this either.

      If I disconnect it and let it sit for a few minutes, it will work again for  few minutes and the same problem all over! Is the solenoid bad? Where do I get the parts for it, or should I just pick up the electrial components and switch that part of the switch?

      Any help is appreciated!

      Peace,

      Jim

    • jkurac55
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 15, 2014
        Probably an intermittent short. Not likely the solenoid itself. Double check the control rail wiring and the sliding contacts in the switch motor.

        Bob Lalich
      • Thomas McLean
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2014
          Be sure you have all of the insulating pins in the correct locations. Lionel Toy Trains Service and Repair Information Library from OTTP: Olsen this is a link that show the proper positioning of the pins as well as all other info about the 022's. -TM

          Thomas M. McLean

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 16, 2014
              Try disconnecting the controller and running the trains for awhile, switching the turnout manually. If the problem still occurs, reconnect the controller and disconnect the switch completely from the layout, and power it up for awhile, switching it with the controller. Something is powering up one side of the solenoid when your problem occurs, and you need to isolate the switch, track and controller to identify the problem.

              Larry