027 drivewheel

  • chooglin40
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 13, 2014
      Looked at below avg condition Texas Special at garage sale. The drive wheels would rotate in only one direction with my thumb power. Could that be normal (thinking electronically reversing directions??).  If not, what is likely problem?  Thanks....am confident u guys will be all over this.......chooglin
    • Bruce Sherman
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 13, 2014
        The Texas Special I have is bare bones, no e-unit, no horn.

        Bruce

        Sent: Friday, June 13, 2014 8:10 PM
        Subject: [Lionel_PostwarTrains] 027 drivewheel

        Looked at below avg condition Texas Special at garage sale. The drive wheels would rotate in only one direction with my thumb power. Could that be normal (thinking electronically reversing directions??).  If not, what is likely problem?  Thanks....am confident u guys will be all over this.......chooglin

      • Jack Schrader
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 13, 2014
          Chooglin, do all the gears look okay?  Burrs on the wheel gears?  Unless of course it is a worm drive, but then I would guess you couldn't thumb move it either way.

          Just a thought.

          Jack

          On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 5:10 PM, chooglin40@... [Lionel_PostwarTrains] <Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Looked at below avg condition Texas Special at garage sale. The drive wheels would rotate in only one direction with my thumb power. Could that be normal (thinking electronically reversing directions??).  If not, what is likely problem?  Thanks....am confident u guys will be all over this.......chooglin

        • Dave Potts

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 13, 2014
              I didn't buy. Only handled it briefly. In the garage.  If it is still there tomorrow I might make small offer but don't want to insult her.  The set is pretty shabby but wouldn't mind tinkering with it since I am newbie.  But no, didn't get to see gears that were out of sight.
            • Thomas McLean
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 14, 2014
                If that is the postwar 2245 it is a worm drive to the wheels and may or may not be able to be rotated by finger pressure. Sometimes they will rotate in one direction much easier than the other. Sometimes you cannot rotate the wheels by hand at all. Probably normal.-TM

                Thomas M. McLean

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 14, 2014

                  Go ahead and make an offer of what you think it is worth. Point out to her the condition and the fact the wheels turn in only one direction. From your description I would offer $5 tops. I have a couple of these engines (near new) and they are at the bottom of train quality. The June, 2014 issue of "The Lion Roars", LCCA's magazine, has an extensive article on these engines. Some people think everything with Lionel on it is worth a king's ransom.

                  Best regards, Frank Corley

                • chooglin40
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 16, 2014
                    thanks, i did  pass on it.  i got excited cause that was only about the third time i ever saw a lionel at a garage sale. agree with you that they think all must be worth a lot.
                  • Geoff Geffken
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 17, 2014
                      Garage sales are very irregular.  Rummaging around is fun and relaxing; most sellers are doing the same.   There are those like said above that have $$$ sign glasses on.

                      I once saw a half dozen low end engines at one home - recent pieces - all priced over $200 with  some over $400 - passed them right by - no need to negotiate,

                      However, a few weeks ago, my son stopped by with  211 Texas Specials (A/B) and two cars.   He scored them for $5 down from $10.   Said he could have driven a harder bargain but he wanted the woman selling them to feel okay with the deal.

                      A little clean-up and the engine works fine.    The 6476 Lehigh Valley Hopper is in good shape.  Sadly, the 6017 caboose could not be saved!

                      Geoff

                      On Monday, June 16, 2014 11:05 PM, "chooglin40@... [Lionel_PostwarTrains]" <Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      thanks, i did  pass on it.  i got excited cause that was only about the third time i ever saw a lionel at a garage sale. agree with you that they think all must be worth a lot.

                    • Tom
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 17, 2014
                        I've been watching this thread with interest. I, too, have seen some O-gauge steamers in garage sales and flea markets of the past and wouldn't know a $50 engine from a $5 engine.

                        Any tips on what to look for? Or is the variety too great to attempt without a buyer's guide in the rear pocket?

                        Tom

                        Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                      • Toni & Brian
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 17, 2014

                          The buyers guided are worthless as to values. They can give you reasonable information on year, variation, scarcity, but the prices are way off.  The best way to learn values is to track the sold items on Ebay. That will get you to a reasonable idea as to the values of individual items.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 17, 2014
                            I would say.. take a good look at it.  Is there a reverse unit? headlight? does it have a smoke unit?  is the body plastic? Does it have some weight to it?

                            If it feels too light, has a plastic body, it’s a $5 engine, in my opinion.  I mainly collect steamers.  For growlers (diesels) I would look to see if both trucks have motors attached to them.  Should be easy to see by looking at the trucks.

                            Bottom line, if not sure, low ball the price.  I rather offer a lower value then overpay.  Take a note of the number on the side of the engine.

                            Also unless you can test run it, assume it could be broken and need work.  Classic Postwar Lionel is pretty rugged, but may need a tune up.

                            Bruce

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 17, 2014
                              Even Ebay might be overpriced. need to look at several auctions to get a idea.

                              Bruce

                              Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:06 PM

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 18, 2014
                                Hmmm... Doesn't give you a lot to go by, does it. It's pretty much back to using good discretion and common buying sense - plastic vs metal, working vs not working, lights vs no lights, etc.

                                Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

                                Tom

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:06 PM

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 18, 2014
                                  You can use the price guides, but as someone else said they can be off the mark with prices, but it will give you a starting point. That way if you run across something you will at least have a idea if its a really good piece of way over priced. Also what I do with the pocket guides is mark if I have a particular engine or car. That way I don't have to stand there wondering do I have this piece? Also trust your gut, does the Engine look all beat up and the seller is asking $200? Walk very fast away. Is the piece is really nice shape, looks clean and ready to hit the rails, consider it

                                  Brendan

                                • franktrainman
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jun 18, 2014

                                    Deals are out there. An old neighbor of mine was having a garage sale. I see one of Lionel's smaller transformers with a $2 price tag on it. I didn't need it, but at $2 was too cheap to pass up. He was sitting at a table with one of those umbrellas in the center of the table. I go over to pay. A woman ahead of me gave him a $5 bill. She has a nice ZW in the box with the original instructions. This neighbor, who I had known for 30 years, had to know I was into Lionel trains as I talk about them all the time. I would have given him much more than $5 for that near pristine ZW, He had never mentioned having anything Lionel. I asked him if he had any engines or cars? He said no, his son had come over and took them. I say why didn't he take the transformers? He says the son didn't want those big old heavy things, he was going to run them with his HO trains power pack. Lottsa luck, I thought.

                                    Best regards, Frank Corley

                                  • Tom
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jun 21, 2014
                                      Thanks Brendan and everyone else for your very helpful suggestions. I will get a pocket guide but as Brendan suggested use it simply as a "suggested" pricing guide and rely more on common sense to determine if something is worth the price, worth bargaining for, or worth walking away from.

                                      Tom
                                      "Without God as my engineer, my trains go nowhere."

                                      Sent from my iPhone