1060 at Flea Market

  • Bruce Sherman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2014

      Hope the above url works.

      If you are at a general merchandise flea market, and spot a Lionel train sitting by other items, in this case a 1060, what do you think?  Definitely a uneducated seller, with chances are, overpriced it. Personally, if it cost more then $10, I would like to test run it before spending serious cash.

      How does everyone else feel?

      Bruce
    • Joe Francis
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2014

        “A fool and his money are soon parted,” comes to mind, as does “there’s a sucker born every minute.” I have 2 examples:

        1)      Close to 20 years ago, I was at an auction which had one Lionel locomotive with no tender. It did not sell until fairly late. It was a typical 2-4-2, in mediocre at best condition, and should have fetched no more than about $15 TOPS. Instead, I watched as 2 older gentlemen battled over it. When the gavel finally dropped, the selling price was $120! There was absolutely nothing special about it; it was your simple run-of-the-mill dime-a-dozen 2-4-2, and there wasn’t even a tender to complete it.

        2)      About 10-12 years ago, I would watch eBay for both things that were on my wish list as well as items I already had, so I could update my price list. A K-Line Pacific in Milwaukee Road livery came up, and I put a “watch” on it. Since I already had one, I was more interested in seeing how it would perform against what I had paid (I believe about $325 new). The next morning, I checked the final sale: $1,100. After spewing my orange juice  all over the keyboard, I went into the bidding history. I was apparent that both bidders had “snipe” programs running, and both had set their snipers to “no limit.” All I could think was, “I bet the guy that LOST is VERY happy this morning.”

        --
        Joseph Francis
        Wauwatosa, WI

        If you are at a general merchandise flea market, and spot a Lionel train sitting by other items, in this case a 1060, what do you think?  Definitely a uneducated seller, with chances are, overpriced it. Personally, if it cost more then $10, I would like to test run it before spending serious cash.

        How does everyone else feel?

      • Thomas McLean
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2014
          Honestly, I wouldn't pay $10 for a mint 1060.-TM

          Thomas M. McLean

          If you are at a general merchandise flea market, and spot a Lionel train sitting by other items, in this case a 1060, what do you think?  Definitely a uneducated seller, with chances are, overpriced it. Personally, if it cost more then $10, I would like to test run it before spending serious cash.

          How does everyone else feel?

          Bruce

        • Robert Bunge
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 7, 2014
            My reaction to that table is less about the train and more about the bayonets and binoculars. :-)

            On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 7:09 AM, Thomas McLean tmackinator@... [Lionel_PostwarTrains] <Lionel_PostwarTrains@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Honestly, I wouldn't pay $10 for a mint 1060.-TM

            Thomas M. McLean

            If you are at a general merchandise flea market, and spot a Lionel train sitting by other items, in this case a 1060, what do you think?  Definitely a uneducated seller, with chances are, overpriced it. Personally, if it cost more then $10, I would like to test run it before spending serious cash.

            How does everyone else feel?

            Bruce

          • B Moore
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2014
              When I bid off EBay, most if not all the time my bid is what I am willing to pay. Sometimes I'll come back and raise my bid, but not very often. Glad I was not on the receiving end of that bill for who ever won.

              Brendan Moore
            • Bruce Sherman
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 7, 2014
                That is of course the correct way of doing it.  Its when you feel you are willing to pay another $1 or so, that gets you into trouble.

                Bruce

                Sent: Saturday, June 7, 2014 8:38 PM
                Subject: [Lionel_PostwarTrains] Re: 1060 at Flea Market