Williams FM Trainmaster

  • jim0ifcadvisors
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2014

      I know this is a lionel forum, but thought I would ask anyway! Does anyone have experience with the Williams replicas of the Lionel trainmaster series? I purchased one several years ago on Ebay and perhaps, should have returned it, but another story for another day. The lights do not work, which I will figure out why, but it does not have a horn. Bachman tells me it is too old to have a horn. It only has one circuit board and no speaker for the horn. I wonder if I can add the horn circuit board or do I have to change the original circuit board out as well?

      If anyone can point me in a direction, I am grateful! I would like to let my grandsons play with it instead of the real Lionel Erie Lackawanna that was purchased by my Dad in 1953!

      Thanks in advance

    • Bruce Sherman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2014
        The easiest would be to add a box car with a operating horn.  I remember seeing these things years ago, but not sure who made them.

        Bruce

        Sent: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:44 AM
        Subject: [Lionel_PostwarTrains] Williams FM Trainmaster

        I know this is a lionel forum, but thought I would ask anyway! Does anyone have experience with the Williams replicas of the Lionel trainmaster series? I purchased one several years ago on Ebay and perhaps, should have returned it, but another story for another day. The lights do not work, which I will figure out why, but it does not have a horn. Bachman tells me it is too old to have a horn. It only has one circuit board and no speaker for the horn. I wonder if I can add the horn circuit board or do I have to change the original circuit board out as well?

        If anyone can point me in a direction, I am grateful! I would like to let my grandsons play with it instead of the real Lionel Erie Lackawanna that was purchased by my Dad in 1953!

        Thanks in advance

      • Pete Serrino
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2014
          You must have an early one. Starting in the early 2000s they came with sound, also flywheel motors which the early ones did not have. You can buy a True Blast II board from Bachmann or you can buy the sound boards from any of Lionel's conventional engines. Prices are similar. Lionel parts will not be available until August as they are moving their parts and service department to North Carolina. To find a board that will work go to Lionel's website and under Customer Service find "replacement Parts". First find a recent Trainmaster and plug its ID number into the search window and you will find the sound board. Railsounds are a different matter as Lionel only sells a few of the older ones and they would be more expensive and harder to fit as they consist of 3 boards. There is also Electric Railroad.
          electricrr.com

          Pete

          I know this is a lionel forum, but thought I would ask anyway! Does anyone have experience with the Williams replicas of the Lionel trainmaster series? I purchased one several years ago on Ebay and perhaps, should have returned it, but another story for another day. The lights do not work, which I will figure out why, but it does not have a horn. Bachman tells me it is too old to have a horn. It only has one circuit board and no speaker for the horn. I wonder if I can add the horn circuit board or do I have to change the original circuit board out as well?

          If anyone can point me in a direction, I am grateful! I would like to let my grandsons play with it instead of the real Lionel Erie Lackawanna that was purchased by my Dad in 1953!

          Thanks in advance

        • Rick Duncan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2014
            Lionel made a boxcar with a diesel horn about 1992. It was an REA box number 16649.

            Rick D

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2014
              Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated.
            • bigal_956
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 7, 2014
                Those early model Williams locomotives were nice lookers but were really cheap quality wise. They are good runners and perfect for the grandkids to play with.

                The lights should be an easy fix as there are no fancy electronics. It's either a loose wire or bad bulbs.

                You can add the horn. Williams sold the horn kits separately for a long time. Here is a link to the diesel horn kit. 00245 WM Digital True Blast II Diesel Sound BACU2365
                Modern Williams made by Bachman is of much better quality and Trainworld usually has some great deals. Like anything, you get what you pay for. But as a runner engine for the kids you cannot beat the deals on Williams.